Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > J R R Tolkien

J R R Tolkien The works of JRR Tolkien

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th June 2002, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
something more magical

Location: In a giant Oak tree in a forest not too far away...
Aragorn

ok this guy is cool. Not only does he have a whole wardrobe of names to choose from, he can fight with a sword, a bow and possibly fire. Not only that he is the heir of Elendil the crazy ring loving guy and has a sword named Anduril. not bad for someone who has never seen a bar of soap.

But my question is this...well, these...

I reckon Viggo Mortensen played him rather well...you? I liked his false english accent that made me laugh.

What would have happened to the fellowship if say...he had died in the mines of Moria and not Gandalf?

And why could he hold Galadriels gaze, like Legolas but the rest of the fellowship could not?
:flash:
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2002, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
aka Padfoot

Location: can't remember. if i don't know if i'm human, what makes u think i can remember where i live?
i reckon the mission would have failed if Arrie died, cos he went to find Frodo, and he fought the orcs off, if he hadn't have been there, i think frodo would have been taken by the orcs
Jessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2002, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
something more magical

yeah but Frodo did have the ring so he could have hidden.
Old 15th June 2002, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Odi et amo et- CRUCIO!

Apologies to all Americans *g*

Leggy, with the ring comes great danger if it is used to hide!

A friend of mine complained over the fact that Arwen had been mentioned so much in the film-- and that Aragorn was made into the stereotypical 'angsty American'

...Whereas, he argued, Boromir was by far the more 'American'- with the 'I need it now' attitude and not the quiet quintessentially English Aragorn, patient and dutiful.

He thought that the casting was, on that count, the wrong way round.

But could it be any worse than Aragorn in a skirt and Boromir as a viking in the animated version?

Thoughts? Remmeber, not my opinion so don't flame me down *g* I just thought it an interesting premise.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2002, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
aka Padfoot

Location: can't remember. if i don't know if i'm human, what makes u think i can remember where i live?
lol, skip

and i know frodo had the ring leggy, i just think that without Arrie to protect him and the rest of the Fellowship, things would've gone wrong
Jessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2002, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
something more magical

Can i just say, even tho it sounds wierd, wouldn't Arrie be better off cutting his hair? I mean he could see better while he's killin' orcs if he din have that floppy mess of a fringe hangin like a wet rats tail in the way....sorry Arrie fans (and no comments on Legolas' hair b.cos it is perfect the way it is )
Old 17th June 2002, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Odi et amo et- CRUCIO!

.....Come to think of it, look at all their hair? Was it because it was the fashion? Or that they didn't have as good hairdresserers? *g* He could always tie it up anyway
Old 18th June 2002, 09:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
something more magical

Well I suppose with the travelling a lot they couldn't really stop for a haircut and a cuppa in Bree could they?

Maybe it's all for his character. I mean all the stragly wet hair just screams rugged man-o-the-woods dunnit...
Old 27th June 2002, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
something more magical

Did you guys know Viggo Mortensen wasn't originally cast as Aragorn? No - it was Stuart Townsend (Vampire LeStat in Queen of the Damned) who was up for the part. Buy I haven't found out why Viggo has taken his place. Yet.
Old 27th June 2002, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Odi et amo et- CRUCIO!

I think he pulls it off pretty damn well though Have to think about if Townsend woulda.... Hmmm
Old 27th June 2002, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
something more magical

Stuart Townsend always struck me as a very clean-shaven and c;ean person. Nah way could he have been aragorn! lol! But then again, I din even know who viggo Mortensen was b4 LOTR so I dun know what he looks like OOC.
Old 4th July 2002, 12:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
R.I.P. Ashes

Re: Aragorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas
I liked his false english accent that made me laugh.

What would have happened to the fellowship if say...he had died in the mines of Moria and not Gandalf?
He had a fake accent??? I thought it was his own accent.

(We don't need spoilers for FOTR do we?)
Personally I think if he fell in the mines instead of Gandalf then the fellowship would have been better off. For one, Gandalf is a lot wiser and more powerful than Aragorn and so would have helped with the Orc battle a lot better. Though would he have let Frodo and Sam go it alone? I think he would of especially if he saw the effect the ring had on Boromir, probably giving the two advice and what not before setting them off, giving them a better chance at survival and success.

I did know about Stuart Townsend being the original Aragorn but I don't have much of an idea on why he was fired. I did find this in an article though:
You were originally cast in ''Lord of the Rings'' as Aragorn, then Viggo Mortensen stepped in just before shooting began. What happened?
Two weeks ago I finally read an article where the filmmakers said, ''We were totally wrong about Stuart and we accept that it was our fault,'' which was so nice because I did get shafted up the a--. I was there rehearsing and training for two months, then was fired the day before filming began. After that I was told they wouldn't pay me because I was in breach of contract due to not having worked long enough. I had been having a rough time with them, so I was almost relieved to be leaving until they told me I wouldn't be paid. I have no good feelings for those people in charge, I really don't. The director [Peter Jackson] wanted me and then apparently thought better of it because he really wanted someone 20 years older than me and completely different.

hehe I think he sounds a little...annoyed with the producers . I guess he just can't handle being fired.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2002, 08:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Odi et amo et- CRUCIO!

......Yesh, but wouldn't you be a little annoyed, too if you were in his place, Shaun? Thanks for the info
Old 4th July 2002, 08:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
something more magical

I would be a bit annoyed if I'd trained for something for 2 monthsd only to get fired AND get told I wasn't getting paid.

But I think stuart does look too young to play Aragorn, but seeing as there are no pics of Townsend as Aragorn I can't really say who looks more the part. I'll just have to take Jacksons word for it he didn't look right. Anyway Townsend made it big in Queen of the Damned anyway so whats he complianing about?
Old 4th July 2002, 08:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Odi et amo et- CRUCIO!

......For that I'd say who would prefer QOTD to LOTR?

Maybe they only asked him as a reserve: just in case. Still it seems odd to me.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: