Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > J R R Tolkien

J R R Tolkien The works of JRR Tolkien

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th July 2002, 09:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
something more magical

Location: In a giant Oak tree in a forest not too far away...
I haven't seen QotD, but the trailer looked good. Anyways this ent the place for that sorry.

Who has the LOTR calendar? did anyone who has it find the big pic of Aragorn in May kinda creepy, my calendar is right by my bed and I kept waking up to find him starting at me so it stayed on April for 2 months!
:flash:
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2002, 07:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
R.I.P. Ashes

Quote:
Originally posted by Skip
......Yesh, but wouldn't you be a little annoyed, too if you were in his place, Shaun? Thanks for the info
May be but saying things like "...because I did get shafted up the a--." isn't going to get me to sympathise with him.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2002, 05:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
something more magical

IN the house of Elrond Bilbo says he needs his old friend the Dunedan to help him finish his song. When and where did Bilbo meet Aragorn? Not anywhere in the hobbit.
Old 15th August 2002, 10:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Odi et amo et- CRUCIO!

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Bilbo, aside from being an unusual hobbit after his trip there and back again, had a few visitors over the years did he not? And then, when he went off he was wandering a while before he got to Elrond's place, where he stayed for several years; enough time for Aragorn to come visit!

And his composing could have been done during Frodo's convalesence, which wasn't immediate?

Begging your pardons if I am confused.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2002, 04:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
something more magical

oh yeah...ugh...I was thinking of the film again where there was only a short time beteeen Bilbo leaving and Frodo leaving. In the book it was years not weeks...
Old 17th August 2002, 11:42 AM   #21 (permalink)

Re: Aragorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas

And why could he hold Galadriels gaze, like Legolas but the rest of the fellowship could not?
Because he's been in the presence of the Lady of Lothlorien before...I dunno I'm assuming
Luthy_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2002, 01:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
something more magical

I always thought that, either that or cos he grew up with a lotta Elves.
Old 17th August 2002, 08:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Odi et amo et- CRUCIO!

Paraphrasing: there is only what evil you take in there yourself...

Aragorn had nothing to hide?
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2002, 11:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
aka Padfoot

Location: can't remember. if i don't know if i'm human, what makes u think i can remember where i live?
yeah but what did the others have to hide?
Jessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2002, 12:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
something more magical

Obviously Boromir had the whole I-want-the-ring thing, Sam had a desire to back to the Shire, I'm not sure about Gimli - hatred of Elves? Not a good thing to hate when you're standing in front of their queen...:flash:
Old 30th September 2002, 11:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
Got the tiger by the tail

Quote:
Originally posted by Skip

Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't he afraid that he might turn into his ancestors and not be able to throw the ring away.

just a thought

IMO I think Viggo portayed him better than Townsend would have. He's a lot more rugged then Townsend.

keltikkitty:aliengray
keltikkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2002, 03:13 PM   #27 (permalink)
Lookin Good

I don't think Townsend looked the part, not rugged enough. I mean he is a bit of a pretty boy in a lot of ways. I do feel bad that he got shafted but I'm glad he didn't end up playing the part.

Quote:
Maybe it's all for his character. I mean all the stragly wet hair just screams rugged man-o-the-woods dunnit...
I think that was part of it. Also you have to figure that:
1) he grew up with elves who like never cut thier hair, not that I mind
2) He was a Ranger and they wander around in the middle of nowhere for months at a time so why bother cutting your hair.
3) Everyone had long hair for all intents and purposes. Wizards, Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, even Orcs! So why wouldn't he?

Quote:
And why could he hold Galadriels gaze, like Legolas but the rest of the fellowship could not?
I think that it was mostly because they were afraid of her. I mean they had all heard these stories about her and what she could do and everyone has something to hide or that they might be ashamed of. Aragorn and Legolas had been around her before and she would have already known anything they might have hidden in thier hearts.
Diamond9697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2002, 01:47 AM   #28 (permalink)
Got the tiger by the tail

Maybe he (aragorn) could hold her gaze b/c he had grown up with elves. It might be likely seeing as legolas held her gaze as well.

keltikkitty:aliengray
keltikkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 01:00 AM   #29 (permalink)
Ultimate J/A shipper!

TTT and ROTK spoiler warning below:

Boy, this discussion turned pretty wide, eh?

Quote:

Exactly! He may have feared the weakness in his bloodline, but he knew he had nothing to fear from Galadrial. He'd not only met her before, but he'd learned to trust her, so he had nothing to hide, even his fear that he might let down the fellowship.

And while Viggo wasn't originally cast as Aragorn (the FotR commentary says Townsend was simply too young) he stepped in quickly and in only a few days began filming. There are some really great stories about how he fished and bar-b-qued a dead (road-kill) rabbit and carried his sword with him everywhere simply so he could stay in Aragorn's head... be one with nature, and one with his weapon, like a Ranger.

I didn't hear that Townsend didn't get paid. That bites. But I still like the Viggo casting better.

If the fellowship had lost Aragorn in the mines of Moria instead of Gandalf, then the whole quest would have been lost. Aragorn would have had no chance of beating the Balrog, being rescued and renewed, and making it to Fangorn Forrest in time to meet up with his friends. Besides, he's the pivotal character in RotK! There'd be NO KING!

Personally, I like Aragorn's long hair. Besides, Viggo looks WAAAY sexier as Aragorn than he does in his own hair. :blush: I never thought Viggo had anything more than chisled good looks before he donned the guise of the scruffy heir to the Gondor throne.

And regarding accents of any kind: They were all fine. We have to remember, the books may have been written by a Brit, may have British sensibilities, may have been intended to be read by British voices, but the setting is "Middle Earth" and who knows what people sound like there? This is all imaginary, after all.
pkgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2003, 08:52 PM   #30 (permalink)
aka Padfoot

Location: can't remember. if i don't know if i'm human, what makes u think i can remember where i live?
Viggo is definately better looking as aragorn than himself, his other hair makes him look to clean
Jessa is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: