Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Film > General Film Discussion

General Film Discussion For discussing the silver screen and the DVD.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 14th March 2012, 12:45 PM   #9631 (permalink)
L'Homme Qui Rit

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

The Hands Of Orlac (1924) Conrad Veidt stars in this tale of a world famous concert pianist who loses his hands in a terrible accident - only to have them replaced by the hands of a murderer. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth ensues whilst this enjoyable piece of German silent cinema moves to its conclusion.

I should add that this DVD was the Kino version and is a very good transfer of a very old movie.
Foxbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 04:00 PM   #9632 (permalink)
Prehistoric Irish Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
The Hands Of Orlac (1924) Conrad Veidt stars in this tale of a world famous concert pianist who loses his hands in a terrible accident - only to have them replaced by the hands of a murderer. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth ensues whilst this enjoyable piece of German silent cinema moves to its conclusion.

I should add that this DVD was the Kino version and is a very good transfer of a very old movie.
Redone as a "talkie" in a 1935 film, Mad Love. With Peter Lorre as the surgeon performing the operation, this isn't a bad effort either. I haven't seen it, but another Hands of Orlac was made in 1960, this time with Mel Ferrer and Christopher Lee.
clovis-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 04:32 PM   #9633 (permalink)
L'Homme Qui Rit

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovis-man View Post
Redone as a "talkie" in a 1935 film, Mad Love. With Peter Lorre as the surgeon performing the operation, this isn't a bad effort either. I haven't seen it, but another Hands of Orlac was made in 1960, this time with Mel Ferrer and Christopher Lee.
I haven't seen either of the remakes but I like Peter Lorre so will definitely keep an eye out for them.
Old 14th March 2012, 09:22 PM   #9634 (permalink)

Yes, Mad Love is a rather good film in its own right -- directed by Karl Freund, who also did the Karloff Mummy -- and starring Colin Clive, as well. As a bit of trivia... after seeing this film, Charles Chaplin is reputed to have said that Peter Lorre was the greatest film actor.....
j. d. worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 10:16 PM   #9635 (permalink)
Prehistoric Irish Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. d. worthington View Post
Yes, Mad Love is a rather good film in its own right -- directed by Karl Freund, who also did the Karloff Mummy -- and starring Colin Clive, as well. As a bit of trivia... after seeing this film, Charles Chaplin is reputed to have said that Peter Lorre was the greatest film actor.....
Ah, yes. Forgot to mention that Colin Clive was the recipient of the hands of the disturbingly nonchalant murderer. But Peter Lorre is the basis of many creepy moments that are still chilling even almost 80 years after the fact.
clovis-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 05:58 PM   #9636 (permalink)
L'Homme Qui Rit

The Fountain This Darren Aronofsky film is one I keep returning to. Peeling back its multiple layers and we find something of a love story told with style, beauty, and replicating itself in three different ways. It's something of a spiritual piece that examines our fear of death and struggle with life.

Hugh Jackman stars alongside Rachel Weisz and, in Jackman's case, I think this is by far his best performance in any movie I've seen him in. He ain't no Olivier but he hits the spot in this one.
Old 15th March 2012, 11:46 PM   #9637 (permalink)
Benevolent Galaxy Being

The Wages of Fear (1952)

A poor little town in South America, is the location for Southern Oil Company. A mishap causes a huge fire, nitroglycerin transported in trucks on dangerous roads is the quickest way to blow out the fire. Four drivers are chosen from a motley group of stranded people from all walks of life who need the money, and two thousand dollars (per man) can buy their ticket out.

Remade as Sorcerer in 1977, with music score by Tangerine Dream.
Starbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 12:51 AM   #9638 (permalink)
Lord High Vizier of Nowt

Blood Simple (1984) meh.
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 05:47 AM   #9639 (permalink)
L'Homme Qui Rit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
Blood Simple (1984) meh.
Zhang Yimou's remake is (I think) worth a look(and looks so much better).

It's also a bit ironic - a Chinese remake of a Hollywood movie. Usually, it's the other way round.
Old 16th March 2012, 05:46 PM   #9640 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
Blood Simple (1984) meh.
I felt exact same way when i saw it.

I had a great run with Coen films like Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, No Country for Old Men, A Serious Man and then Blood Simple was just too simple and not thrilling, smart enough to be thier usual level.

Time to see Fargo and co and forget Blood Simple ever happened to me.
Connavar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 07:51 PM   #9641 (permalink)

After Reservoir Dogs (now its own thread) I took a break with an Animal House rewatch before moving on to another viewing of Apocalypse Now (original version). It can't have the hypnotic explosive effect of a first viewing but it's still an amazing film.

All kinds of weird resonances: the US soldier's shooting spree in the news. It turns out today's the anniversary of My Lai. (Both more viscerally relevant to Platoon, but thematically covered in AN.) And I gather AN borrows from "Heart of Darkness" and the last book I read was Silverberg's Downward to the Earth which, while Silverberg has directly riffed "Heart" elsewhere and is using it to different purposes in DttE, has a similar (mostly land) journey structure with colonial motifs.
J-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 11:44 PM   #9642 (permalink)
Luna tick

Just watched Don't be afraid of the Dark with Katie Holmes and Guy Pearce, written (in part) by Guillermo Del Toro. Kind of a kids horror, which is a bit odd as it is rated 15. It would have terrified me at aged 10, but now I kind of enjoyed it. Not all that scary but Guilllermo does have a wondefully creative imagination and his creatures are always a great blend of ancient and new. Worth a watch just for the intricate design of the house.
Moonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 01:41 AM   #9643 (permalink)
Lord High Vizier of Nowt

The Best of Sex and Violence (1981) - not really a movie but a straight to video compilation of sordid and sleazy seventies film trailers (wall to wall tits and kung-fu) linked by the late immortal John Carradine. A glorious wallow in pre-compacted trash with a genuinely laugh out loud funny joke in one of the links that I fully intend to use at the first opportunity.
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 07:09 AM   #9644 (permalink)
Beam Me Up Scotty

Blue Eyes Of the Broken Doll

Partners in exploitation crime Paul Naschy and Carlos Aured, dish out a small slice of Giallo Spanish style. Naschy plays a drifter that is hired to help tend to a country mansion owned by three odd sisters. One is a harlot (Eva Leon), one in a wheelchair (Maria Perschey) and the last with a disfigured arm (Diana Lorys). Not long after a series of murders start scarring the town with young nubile mamsitas being hack up with a meat cleaver and their eyes plucked out.

This film was an obvious cash in on the popular Italian Giallo's of the 60's and 70's. Though done with far less flair than their Italo counterparts. The first killing doesn't happen till around the halfway mark. While there's some nudie bits for the men before this, it's not enough to keep you amused, or awake for that matter.

While I will give the film a plus for some very good camera work, and some typically cute leading ladies, the rest of this film was just plain boring.

2/5
Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 07:50 AM   #9645 (permalink)
Banishment this world!

Thor. 3/5. Art and special effects very good, story was alright, but some bits came with a bit too much cheese. Some scenes overdramatised without good reason. The villain was a bit too obvious. But overall was an entertaining watch.

The Three Musketeers. 2.5/5. As full on cheese as it comes. The plot was strange, the characters tacky, big name actors that didn't suit their roles. Special effects were good, but story left a lot to be desired. Much better off watching Man in the Iron Mask than this.

Lost Future. 2/5. The premise sounded like potential, post-apocalyptic earth, and it starred Sean Bean - who is one of my favourite actors - but the acting is terrible (with the exception of Sean Bean and Johnathan Pienaar). The script and effects poorly done. The story had potential, but it fell flat with amateur labelled all over it.
Warren_Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cinema, film, movies

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: