Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured TV Series > Firefly > Firefly General Discussions

Firefly General Discussions Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Don't forget, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

View Poll Results: Who's you're least favorite character?
Daniel Jackson 1 6.67%
Sam Carter (if you choose this one, you are crazy!!) 2 13.33%
Jack Onei'll 0 0%
Teal'c 1 6.67%
Janet Fraser 0 0%
George Hammond 0 0%
Jonas 2 13.33%
Any System Lord 2 13.33%
Thor 0 0%
other (specify below) 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th May 2002, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Save Angel!

Joss Whedon's FireFly - New Series

Hey everybody. I have noticed one or two references to this new series in other threads, but I thought I would start a new, dedicated thread for it.

You can find the (at the moment, not very informative) FIREFLY IMDB ENTRY page here.

I found this other site, very informative, with many photos - go and have a look it's great. FIREFLYFANS.NET

The Synopsis of the series is apparently:
Inspired by the Battle of Gettysburg and the Reconstruction Era of the American Civil War, Joss Whedon’ Firefly is the story of Captain Malcolm “Mal” Reynolds and his ragtag crew on the rogue Firefly class starship, Serenity, and their struggle to stay alive after losing a great war 500 years in the future.

Nathan Fillion, who looks to be the lead character, will be familiar to fans of "Two Guys and A Girl", in which he played Sharon's boyfriend Johnny. I don't recognise any of the others though. I get the impression that the theme is supposed to be similar to a Western feel. The teaser pics are looking good in general.

I am definitely looking forward to this series - although hopefully Whedon will be able to juggle all his balls!

Here is a pic of the logo...
Attached Thumbnails
Joss Whedon's FireFly - New Series-fireflylogo.jpg  
Old 15th May 2002, 02:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

Thanks Tabitha, I'd like to know more about it. Those were good links, but there isn't a lot of info yet.
Old 15th May 2002, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Save Angel!

np Dave, I was kinda hoping some people here might have some more info over and above what I have managed to ferret out

I had heard about it ages ago, but I thought it was still in the pre-production stage, I was pleasantly surprised to find that site and all those pics.

I also discovered in This Article that the pilot episode is apparently the most expensive ever! I really hope it gets picked up, for that reason alone!
Old 15th May 2002, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Expert Member

Location: Sitting in front of my computer, at home, on Chulak.
Sounds like a ST spin off. I hope it isn't.

What other programmes has JW done? I take it this isn't gona be anything like Buffy?
Old 15th May 2002, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

He did write the screenplay for 'Alien Resurection', but on second thoughts, maybe that isn't such a great distinction.

I think he is someone who is going places.
Old 15th May 2002, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
R.I.P. Ashes

Here is a link to an article on Firefly http://www.trektoday.com/news/270202_02.shtml. He also describes it as 'anti-Star trek'.
Old 15th May 2002, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Expert Member

But he's still comparing it ...
Old 15th May 2002, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Save Angel!

Great Link Shaun, Thanks!

That is a goodly lot of information to get our teeth into. I have to say I am very happy with the casting of Nathan FIllion - he's a babe. As for the rest of the cast... Adam Baldwin could be interesting, he looks a lot more gritty in the fireflyfans.net pics than in anything I have seen him in previously.

I am not sure about the references to Star Trek - surely any story set in the future, as man has colonised Space, will draw comparisons to ST. It sounds to me like this story is going to be quite different. I mean NO ALIENS! There goes one of the basic parts of ST out the window. And while ST might have had it's occasional renegade captains, none of the series were based on such a premise. If anything it sounds a bit more like Babylon 5 to me.
Old 15th May 2002, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Expert Member

I never watched B5. I'm just kind of fed up with space programmes, especially with that new Enterprise thingy. I like Earth based, non-uniform stuff like Buffy.
Old 15th May 2002, 07:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Save Angel!

I love space SF.... Obviously I am really looking forward to this show! I wonder whether it will be similar to Buffy in terms of dialogue? Whedon's previous scriptwriting has been markedly different - Alien Ressurection, Toy Story, Titan A.E.

The Futon Critic offers some information too. Although nothing much we have not seen in previous links posted here, apart from an expected timeslot (8-9 Sundays, or the old X Files spot), and the fact that we are likely to see it mid-season.

What's it about?
sci-fi drama set 400-500 years in the future in a newly established union of planets, the series centers on the crew of serenity, a small transport spaceship of class firefly who will take any job -- legal or not -- to stay afloat and put bread on the table

who's in it?
Nathan fillion
("two guys and a girl")
Adam baldwin
("the x-files")
Alan tudyk
("a knight's tale")
Sean maher
("the street")
Gina torres
("cleopatra 2525")
Summer glau ("Angel" - briefly!)
Ron glass
("the education of max bickford")
morena baccarin
Old 15th May 2002, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Expert Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tabitha
Summer glau ("Angel" - briefly!)
Haven't heard of any of them (which is good) but who was she?
Old 15th May 2002, 08:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Save Angel!

She was the Ballerina in season three ep "Waiting in the Wings". She only had maybe ten lines at most, and I can't really remember what she looked like (like a ballerina!). She also had an accent - European I would imagine, but I am not sure where from.
Old 15th May 2002, 08:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Expert Member

Hmm, well, if FF ever shows in the UK then I'll get to see her ...
Old 15th May 2002, 08:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Save Angel!

I am sure if it does well it will get picked up in the UK - I can totally see Sky One going for it. Here's hoping anyway - I'll be back in the UK by the time it hits any tv screens...
Old 15th May 2002, 09:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
something more magical

Location: In a giant Oak tree in a forest not too far away...
Quote:
Originally posted by Tabitha
She was the Ballerina in season three ep "Waiting in the Wings". She only had maybe ten lines at most, and I can't really remember what she looked like (like a ballerina!). She also had an accent - European I would imagine, but I am not sure where from.
Russian methinks.

haven't heard a thing about this, but i cant be bothered right now to read the stuff (stinking cold) So I'll wait to watch it and see.
:flash:
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: