Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > H P Lovecraft

H P Lovecraft Lovecraft, the Cthulhu Mythos, and writers who continued the tradition.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th January 2007, 10:28 AM   #31 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Re: Your favorite Lovecraft stories

I read The Hound last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the build up of strange occurances...the rattling at the windows, the shadow that keeps appearing fleetingly and the strange scratchings at the door. It's the small, strange things that I like the best because they're so subtley creepy.

I also enjoyed The Statement of Randolph Crater...hearing Warren's voice over the telephone thingy but not knowing what's happening to him, or what he's seeing...make your imagination go into overtime trying to fill it all in. And then that final, terrible voice that speaks to Crater...rergh, brilliant!

I'm making my way through The Call of Cthulhu and other Weird Stories at the moment, so I'll probably add more as I read them!

Oh! The Call of Cthulhu...another one I enjoyed...I especially loved the description of R'lyeh, how the angles seen to keep changing and shifting, sometimes producing things that shouldn't be possible. Great!
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 11:23 PM   #32 (permalink)
Shapeless Protoplasm

At the Mountains of Madness. Shoggoths, human dissection, and ancient Antarctic cities - what's not to love? I rank this as my favorite, although I'm almost as fond of the next two.

The Call of Cthulhu. Huge alien cities rising from the Pacific are as much fun as Antarctic ones, especially with the big green guy himself making an appearance.

The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Call me crazy, but I think it would be kind of fun to be a evil croaking human-fish hybrid.
mogora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 05:30 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogora View Post
At the Mountains of Madness. Shoggoths, human dissection, and ancient Antarctic cities - what's not to love? I rank this as my favorite, although I'm almost as fond of the next two.

The Call of Cthulhu. Huge alien cities rising from the Pacific are as much fun as Antarctic ones, especially with the big green guy himself making an appearance.

The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Call me crazy, but I think it would be kind of fun to be a evil croaking human-fish hybrid.
Oh, you'll fit in fine here... The Cat and I have had this discussion before, and we're agreed... I'm wondering now how to locate Y'ha-nthlei...
j. d. worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 10:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
Shapeless Protoplasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. d. worthington View Post
Oh, you'll fit in fine here...
Thanks!
Quote:
The Cat and I have had this discussion before, and we're agreed... I'm wondering now how to locate Y'ha-nthlei...
Save a spot for me, too
mogora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 02:03 AM   #35 (permalink)
One Among The Fence

My favourites. (Some spoilers)
  • The Colour Out Of Space. Gave me a horrible feeling, that the infected land of the blasted heath would spread and spread until eventually the entire world would be engulfed, and we'd never escape it... Still makes me worry
  • The Rats In The Walls. That shocking discovery underneath the house, all the mystery, gave me chills. Although the ending I didn't fully understand. I never understood if actual rats came, or if it was all in his mind, or what. Still enjoyed it though.
  • The Shadow Over Innsmouth. This is probably the story that I had heard talked about most before reading. I figured it had to be good, and it sure was. Such a tense thrill as he escaped the village! Fantastic.
  • The Statement Of Randolph Carter. Short and very sweet. Mystery, put you into Randolph's shoes and really made me terrified at what could be happening down there. And the voice at the end...
Minnoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 10:12 AM   #36 (permalink)

The shadow over Innsmouth,Dagon,The Festival,The Nameless City and I also greatly like "The thing on the doorstep" .
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 09:31 AM   #37 (permalink)
Minister For Magic

The Nameless City.
The Curse of Yig.
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath.
The Shadow Over Innsmouth.
And The Colour Out Of Space.
UnderTheOath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 10:19 AM   #38 (permalink)

Also have to add "The Picture in the House" .
Old 15th June 2008, 10:41 PM   #39 (permalink)

Can plz anybody tell me why "Dreams In The Witch-house" is considered such a weak story by the majority?What are its great weaknesses or shortcomings-at least to that majority?
nigourath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 11:04 PM   #40 (permalink)

I can see none myself .
Old 16th June 2008, 12:38 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigourath View Post
Can plz anybody tell me why "Dreams In The Witch-house" is considered such a weak story by the majority?What are its great weaknesses or shortcomings-at least to that majority?
Good to see you again, nigourath!

Well, there are several. One of them is stylistic -- there's much less care and precision of language and structure here than was usual with HPL; certainly by this point in his career. He also tended to fall into hackneyed tropes and ideas here: the effect of the crucifix on Keziah Mason, for instance, which -- even if given the plausibility I personally assign to it psychologically -- isn't given the necessary emotional preparation to make it a realistic reaction on her part. It relies more on shock and gore than was usually the case with HPL, and again there is less careful preparation for this than in the few other cases where he had such. The denouement, too, leaves a bit to be desired, as it provides rather a weak ending for a "cosmic witch" who has had such a lengthy reign; and the almost happy ending (the elimination of Keziah and Brown Jenkin) also has something of a weakening effect (much like that of the eradication of the subterranean entity of "The Shunned House"; though in both cases I would argue that the final lines of the stories are nonetheless quite satisfyingly done.

And, lastly, the entire plot is rather shaky and relies too much on stereotyped images, tropes, and ideas, which weakens the overall effect as well.

Not that the tale doesn't have its strengths (it does, and in some ways is a personal favorite despite its flaws); but the question here was concerning why it is viewed as one of his weaker efforts, however worthwhile it may still be....
j. d. worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 10:58 AM   #42 (permalink)

well,to be true,Its one of my most favourite too,I dunno whats the probelm with it.
Old 16th June 2008, 12:02 PM   #43 (permalink)
The Cat

A story can very well be a personal favourite and have it's flaws. You would then not see these flaws or perhaps even appreciate the tale even more for the flaws. I think the crucifix might appeal to the sense of the dramatic in many people and there's nothing wrong with that.

Understanding the weaknesses does not make the story any less of a favourite and I take my hat off to all those here who love the Old Gent's tales and enjoy them but who also look at them as scholars do. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if it's well reasoned, those opinions are interesting to read and think about. They do not detract from a personal enjoyment or dislike of a story.

As can be seen from what JD has said, Witch House is a favourite of his, even though he has studied it and sees it weaknesses.

I fall into that category of readers that tends to feel, rather than analyse a story. However, reading a critique is always enjoyable ... if only because it gives me another reason to go back and read the story under discussion.
Nesacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 12:25 PM   #44 (permalink)

The only HPL story that didnt enthrall me in any way was "The street"- kinda without point,thne "Ibid"-which I dont get and at last,ive LIKED "the thing on the doorstep" the least,though only cause of the ending,the stuff in between was marvelous.
Old 16th June 2008, 12:36 PM   #45 (permalink)
The Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogora View Post
It's addictive this one and like most addictions it grows. I like it more and more each time I read it and yes, I've come around to thinking it might not be all bad down there in the ocean. It's very descriptive. You can see everything as he goes along through the town, realises what is happening, escapes and then comes around to the reality of himself. Perhaps that is the point that gets me most. The recognising of oneself and realising.
Nesacat is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: