Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured TV Series > Stargate > Stargate SG-1/ Atlantis Character Chat > Jonas Quinn

Jonas Quinn Well, what can I say? Formally known as The New Guy (TNG).

View Poll Results: What color are your aliens?
yellow 13 68.42%
blue 3 15.79%
purple 3 15.79%
red 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th February 2002, 10:04 PM   #46 (permalink)
WELCOME HOME, DR. JACKSON

You make some fair points, Padders - and by association, Anni.

But, :lol: were you hoping no one would notice that you'd neatly side-stepped addressing that point which is germane to the debate, to wit the passing over of the brightest and best of planet Earth for someone whom

"we know almost nothing about"?

Even had he acted with courage, honour and intelligence - even had he refrained from using that incessant oleaginous smirk - during his début episode, it is still unthinkable to by-pass all those Tau'ri who have vastly superior claims to the vacant position in S.G.1.

Addressing the points you made:

Firstly, if I were going into dangerous situations on a regular basis, I would not like to have on my team someone whose first reaction is to become paralysed with fear. Such an one puts not only himself but the rest of my team in danger, and if being brave just takes practice, we might all be dead before he gets the hang of it...

Secondly, if Judas betrayed his people on the grounds they are as evil as Hitler was, do we really want to have any dealings with them, or to assist them with our less 'primitive' technology? Do we seriously want to take the risk that they'll be through the Stargate like ferrets down a rabbit hole, once these new 'allies' have established a presence here, taken over the control room and opened the iris...

Thirdly, the only sign of bravery that I saw Judas demonstate was in not running away when Jack shouted at him, although he looked as if he was in two minds about doing precisely that

Fourthly, thinking that no one will listen to you is no excuse for not telling the truth anyway. At least you've tried to set the record straight. Not to do so argues a lack of moral fibre, and a strong sense of self-preservation which is at odds with being a team player. At best, he's just a 'yes' man.

Fifthly, no one could replace Daniel :wink2:

Sixthly, there are plenty of "different" people right here on Earth. There's thee and me for a start and if you want the real thinking woman's archaeological crumpet, then look no further than Michael Wood :naughty:

Your serve. New balls please...

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut :wave:
--
Old 2nd March 2002, 06:16 PM   #47 (permalink)

I'm with Hatshepsut. There is nothing about Jonas to recommend him to the SGC. This has to be the strangest introduction to a new character that I've ever seen. We're expected to embrace as Daniel's replacement the man who essentially functioned as his executioner.

Why didn't they just write Jonas as a young Air Force officer, or scientist? Or have him heroically try to save Daniel, not run like a rabbit from danger? There are so many different, positive ways TPTB could have used to bring Jonas on board. Instead they deliberately create a cowardly, dishonest, untrustworthy character and expect us to love him.
Old 3rd March 2002, 07:34 PM   #48 (permalink)
Gatefink

Quote:
Originally posted by Jobeth
I'm with Hatshepsut. There is nothing about Jonas to recommend him to the SGC. This has to be the strangest introduction to a new character that I've ever seen. We're expected to embrace as Daniel's replacement the man who essentially functioned as his executioner.

Why didn't they just write Jonas as a young Air Force officer, or scientist? Or have him heroically try to save Daniel, not run like a rabbit from danger? There are so many different, positive ways TPTB could have used to bring Jonas on board. Instead they deliberately create a cowardly, dishonest, untrustworthy character and expect us to love him.
Refreshingly interesting ain't it? :evil:
Old 3rd March 2002, 07:55 PM   #49 (permalink)
Chronos' Love Slave

Location: Third star on the left and straight on till morning!
:lol: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh:

You wicked lady......

:evil: :evil:
Old 3rd March 2002, 07:56 PM   #50 (permalink)
Gatefink

Moi?

Old 3rd March 2002, 07:59 PM   #51 (permalink)
Chronos' Love Slave

Wink

Hee hee...... I laughed because it was exactly what I thought after Meridian had aired and everyone was going on about him!

:rolly2: :evil:
Old 3rd March 2002, 08:06 PM   #52 (permalink)
Gatefink

Phew! Thanx Anni. I was beginning to feel like Billy-no-mates with my strange views!
I'm looking forward to the new series BECAUSE of the weird way in which they've introduced Jonas.
He's piqued my interest.
cheers
Mish

(I also wouldn't kick him outta bed, but that's not a very PC thing to say is it :evil: )
Old 3rd March 2002, 08:13 PM   #53 (permalink)
Chronos' Love Slave

ROTFLMAO...... Billy-no-mates...... god, I haven't heard that expression for a few years!

Yes.... exactly. I watched the episode and thought, wow....this is a contentious character.... most people will hate him because of what he is and what he's done. It really piqued my interest too, I thought.....a sly, slightly dodgy geezer as a member of SG1? Nahhhhhhhhhhh! They wouldn't, would they? Squeaky clean SG1 infiltrated by some traitorous little guy from another planet?

What a plot twist.....

And you should be ashamed of yourself....you a married woman!

:rolly2:

Ah well..... I guess you can look at the menu, as long as you eat at home!

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Old 3rd March 2002, 10:05 PM   #54 (permalink)

Anni wrote:

Quote:
Yes.... exactly. I watched the episode and thought, wow....this is a contentious character.... most people will hate him because of what he is and what he's done. It really piqued my interest too, I thought.....a sly, slightly dodgy geezer as a member of SG1? Nahhhhhhhhhhh! They wouldn't, would they? Squeaky clean SG1 infiltrated by some traitorous little guy from another planet?
Why would a "slightly dodgy geezer" be on the flagship team in the first place? Even though Daniel wasn't military he proved his courage on the Abydos mission when he took a staff blast for Jack. Teal'c proved himself when he rescued them on Chulak, while Carter was career military. Jonas on the other hand, has already proved himself to be weak, treacherous and cowardly.

I've only seen him in one episode, but that was enough for me. I really tried to give him a chance, but he started to lose me when Jack confronted him about the accident and he tried to shift the blame onto Daniel. The flashback scene where he runs like a rabbit, leaving Daniel to sacrifice himself for Jonas' people only cemented the bad impression.

Maybe TPTB have some innovative plot twist up their sleeves, but judging by their track record I doubt it. I think Jonas will just turn out to be yet another **** character from the folks who brought us Marty the Dweeb, Tok'ra Ho and Cadet Haley. Then they'll probably blame "Dannyfans" for Jonas' unpopularity, instead of accepting that it was their fault for creating such an unlikable character in the first place. As I said in an earlier post, they could have invented a much more sympathetic character, but chose not to.

After all, these are the same people who killed off good supporting characters such as Martouf, Aldwin, and the entire Tollan race.
Old 3rd March 2002, 10:08 PM   #55 (permalink)
Gatefink

Quote:
Originally posted by Jobeth
Tok'ra Ho .

:laugh: :laugh: :lol:

that's my fave so far hehehehehe
Old 4th March 2002, 02:43 PM   #56 (permalink)
This is Star - my honey!!

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Mishkaz
Phew! Thanx Anni. I was beginning to feel like Billy-no-mates with my strange views!
I'm looking forward to the new series BECAUSE of the weird way in which they've introduced Jonas.
He's piqued my interest.
cheers
Mish

(I also wouldn't kick him outta bed, but that's not a very PC thing to say is it :evil: )
That is soooooooooo funny Mish. Burst out laughing when I read it. Especially about not kicking him out of bed. Hahahahaha!!!!!!!

annette
Old 7th March 2002, 02:30 PM   #57 (permalink)
How it all began ...

I'm a fence-sitter on this subject but I have noticed a few points which I have decided to pass comment on.

One of the trends throughout these posts is that Jonas has betrayed his people and so why should he be trusted into the team. It seems like people are forgetting how Teal’c entered the team. He was allied with the SGC’s main enemy – if anything it should surprise people how Teal’c got on the team. We’ve all seen how the Goa’uld work – they use all sorts of tricks including the pretense of friendship. My point – it is possible that over 1 episode Jonas gains the support of his team.

Another point I noted was that of Jonas having 60 years less experience in terms of technical advancement – whilst this may be true it doesn’t mean that his culture had not been exposed to technologies Earth has not seen. We often see examples of cultures using technology which is beyond their understanding but can adequately explain how it works. Do you all know how a car’s engine works – but you know what it does and how to use it. Cultures that have a closed vision of technological superiority will always pay the penalty – look at the Tollan and the Asgard. If it wasn’t for Sam’s “Basic” thinking the Asgard would be in similar situation with the Replicator threat.

I wonder how many online fans watched Meridan looking out for “the new guy”. Probably quite a few, it’s only natural. The problem is without realising people won’t give the guy a chance. Character analysis arguments never work with me for such a short period – how can you judge someone after seeing them for a total of 6 minutes ?

I don’t want to sound like I’m ignoring the opposing opinions out there, I respect everyone’s right to speak their mind but I feel this thread was started way to early to be fair to either side of the argument.

[ crash helmet attached ]
Old 7th March 2002, 08:02 PM   #58 (permalink)
WELCOME HOME, DR. JACKSON

Four points come to mind:

1. Water does not flow uphill.

2. Even were Quinn the epitome of intrepidity, integrity and intellect, one does not pass over the brightest and best of one's own people who have a prior and superior claim to the vacant place, in favour of a total unknown. (As a terrestrial academic myself, I'd be flaming mutinous if I were passed over for such an one.)

3. Bringing an alien into the team has already been done...

4. Teal'c is persistently used as a comparison despite his case being far different:-

a) Teal'c saved the lives of S.G.1. (Quinn was only involved in the death of one)

b) Teal'c has far more years of experience in warfare than even Col. O'Neill.

c) Teal'c has intimate knowledge of one of the Tau'ri's greatest enemies, the Goa'uld.

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut :wave:
--
Old 7th March 2002, 09:28 PM   #59 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

Quote:
Originally posted by Sphinx
Another point I noted was that of Jonas having 60 years less experience in terms of technical advancement – whilst this may be true it doesn’t mean that his culture had not been exposed to technologies Earth has not seen. We often see examples of cultures using technology which is beyond their understanding but can adequately explain how it works. Do you all know how a car’s engine works – but you know what it does and how to use it. Cultures that have a closed vision of technological superiority will always pay the penalty – look at the Tollan and the Asgard. If it wasn’t for Sam’s “Basic” thinking the Asgard would be in similar situation with the Replicator threat.
That was my point, though I failed to make it so eloquently. His planet already have that new power source, which SG-1 were falling over themselves to get hold of, we have no idea what else they may have that would make Jonas invaluable to them.

Quote:

crash helmet attached
I'll need to borrow one of those too!

But I do actually agree with Hatshepsut's point about Jonas and Teal'c not being a fair comparison, and I think that I'm coming around more to the opinion that -- yes, they would use his help, but they would need a much longer period than a few episodes to fully trust him on a mission.
Old 8th March 2002, 10:46 PM   #60 (permalink)
Space Monkey!

Quote:

I don’t want to sound like I’m ignoring the opposing opinions out there, I respect everyone’s right to speak their mind but I feel this thread was started way to early to be fair to either side of the argument.

[ crash helmet attached ]
Yeah to be honest Im kinda sorry I started the thread now. I totally agree that I think its far too early to judge the character as we have not seen much of the guy or are not even sure how he becomes one of the team.
I started the thread as a bit of fun and its not really turned out that way...but some great points have been made on both sides and Im just waiting for season six to give a better view on it all...'till then I will be a fencesitter!

Closed Thread