Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > J R R Tolkien

J R R Tolkien The works of JRR Tolkien

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd January 2002, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
lost in Time

Part 2 and 3

Part two...
Book III: Okay I loved the journey of Pippin and Merry with the ents. It was amazing.I can't wait to see how the movie will show the ents to look like. and When gimli and Legolas were playing in the battle I thought they seemed to be having a bit too much fun whilst in a battle but they were not in play and they triumphed all the same.(though I noticed they did not count the number of orcs slain in book five)
Book IV :Okay... OH mY Gawd! When Sam thought Frodo was dead I was like No way he can't be! If he was dead the story would be over. and then sam took the ring and I thought all was lost. oh and then I loved it when Sam heard the orcs describing him as an elf warrior. And then I was relieved cuz Frodo was alive. But I wish Sam hadn't given Frodo back the ring cuz you could tell Frodo did not want to part with it from the hold the ring had on him already.

Part three...
Okay I found book VI the one I wished most to read to see Frodo and Samwise to the mointain and the destruction of the ring seemed more interesting then some distraction of a war. so...and then when they got to the mountain and Frodo said he claimed the ring as his own, again I thought all was lost. I find it ironic that it was gollum who was doomed to be doomed by the ring. poor miserable gollum it was his fault all the same but to think that Gollum saved all of middle earth gives me the shivers just thinkin of it.
Book V: I did not skip all of book five once i had finished reading the end of the ring itself I left that part of the story and went back to the battle of gondor. Merry and Pippen were so brave; in all thier size they deemed the most valiant warriors there. I mean going up against a Nazgul poor Merry could have died! of course there was that chance with Pippen when he killed the troll that fell ontop of him. The men were brave and so was gandalf and yet I think the hobbits did more than the men in a way. sure they were larger in numbers and fought the good fight but I still deem that the hobbits were the truer heros of the story not just becuase of the great deed of Frodo.
Okay then I turned back to were I had left book six and I was up till 5:00 this morning reading it the ending was not quite what I expected of it and I was awake till 8:00 am at least cuz after that story I could not sleep. I have yet to read the Appendix but I find that I must read the books once more.
Asmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2002, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

The Appendix closes a lot of holes, particularly the ones from before the story commences, and perhaps more importantly the ones left afterwards.

They are heavy reading but well worth the effort!
ray gower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2002, 04:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
R.I.P. Ashes

I know what you mean when you said you stayed up to 5 in the morning reading it :wave:.
And as for the appendix I would suggest that you at least skim it, especially to do with the future of the fellowship.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2002, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
lost in Time

Arrow

Oh did it sound like I wasn't planning on reading them? Well I was and I did. It was a bit dreary to read it all the way through but I made it. my favorite part of the appendicces(sp?) was Appendix C. The Hobbit trees.
Asmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2002, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official keeper of Narim!

didn't you just cry at the very end though...the part about Frodo...

Well, they did say something about this age is when the hobbits become known so ya they had an important part to play, all of them....
skoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2002, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
R.I.P. Ashes

Regarding changes from the book to the movie (well thats what this thread's titled).

These are just rumours about what they may change in the film. Firstly the part with Shelob is going to be moved from the end of TTT to the start of ROTK to give Frodo and Sam some more story there and to stop the huge cliffhanger for the audience.

Probably the biggest change would be the removal of the Scouring of the Shire. They, PJ and co, said that it would be anticlimatic for the film. While I agree with that, its also an important part of the hobbits growth and development.So what does everyone think about these proposed changes. For the better or a total dissapointment?

Feel free to move this post, I wasn't sure where to put it. Especially with this title.
Old 4th July 2002, 06:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official keeper of Narim!

I was wondering about that one.

spoiler
I always wanted the book to end with the casting of the ring into the mountain, it seemed logical & I guess the it is also a good end for the movie, however, the Sire part is also important. Does this mean Frodo won't be leaving Sam at the end? When will Sam have time to have a kid with Rosie...I've seen a pcture of Elanor so I'm wondering if we are to imagine he married her before the journey & had a kid?
skoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2002, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

As good a place as any to put it.

The last section of the book, although essential to the Hobbits, could be dull in relation to the rest of the film. They would have to liven it up somehow
ray gower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2002, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
R.I.P. Ashes

Quote:
Originally posted by skoon
spoiler
Does this mean Frodo won't be leaving Sam at the end? When will Sam have time to have a kid with Rosie...I've seen a pcture of Elanor so I'm wondering if we are to imagine he married her before the journey & had a kid?
I think that they'll keep the ending in, just get rid of the scouring bit. Not sure on how they'll do it though. I'm pretty sure they at least filmed that bit with Elanor at the end so theres hope about keeping the Grey Havens. It would be a nice way to end the movie.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: