Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured Films > Middle Earth

Middle Earth The Peter Jackson masterpieces, covering Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers, & Return of the King. With The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Desolation of Smaug, & There and Back Again.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 21st September 2007, 01:22 AM   #211 (permalink)
Uncool

Re: Who Would You Marry??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefo View Post
I just realized we've never seen an orcish woman. They must have some southern charm or something for the orcs to multiply that fast, you know

As for the women characters in LOTR... can I fancy after someone who's married? ... In the book Galadriel is the most beautiful woman to EVER walk the Earth... kind of like Helen of Troy for Middle Earth. Can any male honestly say he will not be tempted? I sure can't

Chefo
Dude, orcs grow in mud.
sarakoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 08:44 AM   #212 (permalink)
Actum pro novus diem

In the movies they grow in mud. Not in the books. In the books it doesn't say according to my memory.
Majimaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 01:14 AM   #213 (permalink)
Run VT Erroll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majimaune View Post
In the movies they grow in mud. Not in the books. In the books it doesn't say according to my memory.

I think the books say that the Orcs are created by their masters

In some ways , the Orcs are actually the most poorly treated characters in the stories , and perhaps deserve some sympathy from the reader. Creatures created as virtual slaves to do their masters bidding , they are initially portrayed as as a single entity rather than as individuals .

Yet as the story progresses , we see that they each have their own hopes and fears - many appear to obey purely out of fear of the leaders. The reader is even presented with the names of individual orcs , and some insight into the workings of their minds

How many of these creatures would prefer to live in a peaceful community? How many are sick of doing the evil bidding of their masters ? It is interesting to see that whilst the Orcs of Mordor live in dread of their superiors the Nazgul , the Uruk-Hai have an entirely different view of their master Saruman ,nicknaming him affectionaly Sharkey , likening him almost to a father figure rather than an object of dread.

Indeed , it could be said that as their creator , Saruman is in all meaningful ways a father to his troops , seeing as he gave them life. It is also interesting to note the way in which he obviously cares for his creations , ensuring they are bigger , stronger , and cleverer than those created by the more powerful Sauron , and providing them with man's-flesh to eat

Yet the forces of good consider all of these creatures as inherently evil , with no chance of redemption. In all cases they are cut down , even whilst fleeing the battlefield , posing no threat. None are shown mercy , or offered quarter - they are surrounded and systematically slaughtered until none are left

Even Sauron doesn't wipe out his conquered foes. Ok , he might imprison or use them as slaves , but at least he lets them live.
paranoid marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 05:35 AM   #214 (permalink)
Actum pro novus diem

He wipes out a lot of them though, he wanted to wipe out the elves and most of the men.

Getting back to the thread topic I think if possible...
Old 22nd September 2007, 06:47 AM   #215 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Orion View Post
Legolas is swift and quit and an elf warrior like the other elf warriors.
That is how elfs are and are described which is how Tolkien wanted
them to be.

Are you implying that homosexual elves wouldn't be as swift and as good warriors as the others?

What do you think of warriors like Achilles? He did love Patroclus.
Giovanna Clairval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 06:54 AM   #216 (permalink)
Actum pro novus diem

Nice point. Who cares what they are they are all similar with their skills. Achilles was the best warrior of that time and do you hear people saying he wasn't great cause he was gay?
Old 22nd March 2008, 01:24 AM   #217 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Orion View Post
If you could marry any character from LOTR,

who would it be and why???
I think it would have to be Samwise Gamgee!!! I love him! He's my favorite character because, well...let's face it! Frodo wouldn't have made it to Mt. Doom without him......Frodo's kinda a wimp...and Sam is strong and brave....and just cooler. lol That's who I would marry.
Guardian Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2008, 01:29 AM   #218 (permalink)
Aye fur Alba

Well, although the orcs were created from tortured elves by Morgoth, it would seem that we don't see their women, a bit like dwarves. In ROTK, there's a throwaway line along the lines of, "...Any orc ever spawned." But, on balance it's safe to assume that big orcs make little orcs in the usual way.

Of course, maybe we see female orcs all the time, but can't tell the difference.
The Ace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2008, 12:41 PM   #219 (permalink)

I would marry Legolas, just because in the movie he is played by Orlando Bloom...
Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2008, 01:33 PM   #220 (permalink)
The Immortal Prince

That Balrog was pretty darn sexy.
Cayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2008, 02:11 PM   #221 (permalink)
Writer

When I was a kid and reading the LOTR books as they were published, I was in love with Aragorn and Legolas. But I'd have taken Faramir or Eomer.

Now that I'm older and have seen the films, Theoden is closer to my age group and very lovely but I still fancy Faramir!

Mary
Mary Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2008, 02:11 PM   #222 (permalink)
Writer

PS ooh, ooh , I forgot, also Elrond!

Mary
Mary Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 05:21 PM   #223 (permalink)
Uncool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
Dude, orcs grow in mud.
Ok, fine. In the movies, they grow in mud.
sarakoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 01:22 PM   #224 (permalink)

Well, if you're looking at the women, it's kind of between Arwen and Eorwyn. Both are good-looking, both seem to know about swordfighting (probably quite important in Middle Earth), but personality? One mopes about and is constantly followed by dying leaves and the sound of Enya, the other seems to enjoy getting drunk and dancing. It's got to be Eorwyg. And if that doesn't clinch it, think of the in-laws...

(Of course, there's always Galadriel. She looks quite nice in her nightie-thing, but frankly, she's a bit weird. Especially after that whole magic mirror incident. Scary girl).
Toby Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 01:38 PM   #225 (permalink)
elaineb

Erm I thought Tolkein was gay, actually.
Which is fine and dandy by me.
It is interesting becasue the female characters in LOTR are pretty much one dimensional and psychologically quite shallow -the novel is more about men and the relationships between men - its a beautiful novel from that perspective.

I wouldn't marry Frodo (he is so so so annoying!) - in fact I wouldnt marry any of them. Gandalf is my favourite character by far, and the sexiest was Aragorn.
elaineb is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: