Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured TV Series > Stargate > Stargate SG-1 Time Line Chat > Stargate SG-1 Season 5

Stargate SG-1 Season 5 Forum for the discussion of Season 5 episodes. Use spoiler warnings for all episodes because different parts of the world get the episodes at different times.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5th August 2001, 10:48 AM   #31 (permalink)
The Man With No Name

although most people didn't I kinda liked this episode. hey, i've loved all of season five but although there were some faults it still was a good ep. I liked the fact we got more asgard and were introduced to a new asgard character: freya. Jack had some good lines although I wish teal'c had some more to say.
Manco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2001, 10:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

5.05: Red Sky.

This could have been a Star Trek episode -- full of moralising, bad science and Trek-like techno-babble. I liked it really, but it was strange.

I was reminded frequently of the Arthur C. Clarke quote: "Any science or technology which is sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic." I also thought, at first, that the stuff about blowing up the rocket and whether to blame the whole society was about the "Twin Towers" attack and Afganistan, but then I realised that it must have been written over six months ago. It makes you think though!

IMHO I think that Jack is far too flippant with the Asgard, they are still very powerful, Gods or not.

Ragnarok is the time when three little ice ages will fall upon the world, known as the Fimbulvetr. The fire giants led by Surt will come out of Muspelheim. Naglfar, the ship made out of dead men's nails, will carry the frost giants to the battlefield, Vigrid. Interesting then, to apply it to the dying Star. And interesting not to have Thor, as his end of the world scenario is based upon his battle with Jormungard, the Midguard Serpent! I liked seeing Freya, but wasn't Freya a female God? Or are the Asgard asexual? Why hasn't Jack asked them that yet?

Not too sure about the science though. Tell me if I'm wrong here, but I thought that since wormholes exist outside space and time, they wouldn't pass through other points in space on their way from start to finish. And I thought that all elements that heavy would be radioactive and unstable, also how did they pick up Plutonium in the wormhole, it doesn't exist in nature? And one final thing, since when did the SGC get to name new Elements, it's usually done by an international committee of old men?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2001, 10:38 PM   #33 (permalink)
Space Monkey!

Yeah I was not sure about this one...it was ok but not really my cup of tea!!

A few good lines...

Carter: Sir I've been thinking...
Jack: I would ber amazed if you stopped thinking carter!

Jack: Go back to the SGC and confuse Hammond!

But overall not bad...some good parts...alway liked the Asguard!
pamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2001, 07:32 AM   #34 (permalink)
Expert Member

Location: Sitting in front of my computer, at home, on Chulak.
Re: 5.05: Red Sky.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
IMHO I think that Jack is far too flippant with the Asgard, they are still very powerful, Gods or not.

wasn't Freya a female God? Or are the Asgard asexual? Why hasn't Jack asked them that yet?
I totally agree, but I think Jack hasn't asked them yet 'cos he may be flippant, but he's not (completely outrighty) rude!

I thought Freya was female as well, and was a bit confused with the Nox woman being called that as well, not to mention Anise. I suppose they are asexual, or at least very similar in appearance.

It thought it resembled ST as well; half expected Chakotay or Deanna to come wandering up!
kelsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2001, 08:16 PM   #35 (permalink)
Retired super-mod-erator!

an interesting episode... we get to find out some detail about the goa'uld/asgard treaty, which is protecting Earth and half the galaxy it seems...

Yeah Jack was rather flippant at times, but I'm of the opinion that he's been dumbed down far too much in the later seasons...
markpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2001, 04:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
How it all began ...

Quote:
how did they pick up Plutonium in the wormhole, it doesn't exist in nature?
I thought Carter said a substance like Plutonium - but not specifically Plutonium.

Carter's character is pretty hot on technical details so surely she wouldn't make such a mistake
Sphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2001, 12:45 AM   #37 (permalink)
star hopper

Thumbs up Red Sky

Red Sky has just been aired here in GB and I thought it one of the more thought provoking episodes. Its about time the writers showed the effect that the SGC has on the planets they visit, the results of their "meddling" for want of a better word. I do think the writers took the easy way out at the end, to make it happy-ish. My own opinion is that SG1 should have left, and the planet and its inhabitants died. This might make the SGC think a bit before they act and not expect the Asgaard to clear up after them. That's just my own opinion, tho!
Other than that, I think it was a fine episode, with good visual effects and an excellent music score - which nobody has mentioned at all! That was the first thing that grabbed my attention, even before the opening credits. Top marks for music
murfff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2001, 01:00 AM   #38 (permalink)
star hopper

Thumbs up Red Sky

Hello - I'm new to all this and just wrote my opinion of Red Sky in the wrong bit (season 5 discussion). And, of course, I can't remember what I wrote! Basically, I thought they might have ended it with the planet and its inhabitants dying. This way, Sg1 might think twice before taking shortcuts and "interfering", and also they would not expect the Asgaard to step in and clean up their mistakes each time. But this was just my opinion!
I thought it a very thought - provoking episode, with great visual effects, and an excellent music score. In fact, it was the music that grabbed my attention first, before the opening credits started...
murfff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2001, 07:56 PM   #39 (permalink)
Stargate fan[atic]

Lightbulb Red Sky

Y'know what i think? i think the Asgard knew that sg-1 had tried to restablize the sun, but it didn't work, so they USED it as an excuse to fix the sun in case they were attacked by the goa'uld-Asgard treaty. they could just say, "we didnt do it, earth did."
shu_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2001, 09:06 PM   #40 (permalink)
Sioku

Um..Ok......Idunno wot ur on about....

:flash:
Old 19th November 2001, 09:58 PM   #41 (permalink)
Chronos' Love Slave

Location: Third star on the left and straight on till morning!
Exclamation

Hi shu_hunter........ Thank you very much for posting.

An interesting theory, but I think that since this is about a Season 5 episode it probably needs to be in the Season 5 section and not in General Discussions. Perhaps the Moderator of General Discussions might like to move it, since I am not able to do that myself!!!

Many people are still only watching prior Seasons and may not wish to be spoiled with regard to future episodes, so we generally also tend to put spoiler warnings in if we are going to discuss an episode, which then gives those folk who don't want to be spoiled the opportunity to avoid the thread or the posting.

Please do continue to post any interesting theories but in future put some warnings in!!!

Thanks

Anni
Season Five Moderator

Anni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2001, 09:56 AM   #42 (permalink)
JAD
queer as folk

moving to stargate season 5 forum
JAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2001, 07:11 PM   #43 (permalink)
GatER

Cool

I believe Sam mentions something like that at the end of the ep, doesn't she? She said something like it wasn't them (Tau'ri:smile: ) at least they didn't do it alone...can't remember, tired and hungry!
cinnamonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2001, 07:35 PM   #44 (permalink)
"happy oestrogen bubble"

Re: Red Sky

Quote:
Originally posted by shu_hunter
Y'know what i think? i think the Asgard knew that sg-1 had tried to restablize the sun, but it didn't work, so they USED it as an excuse to fix the sun in case they were attacked by the goa'uld-Asgard treaty. they could just say, "we didnt do it, earth did."

i agree, that's what i thought...

oohh, what a scary thought, you are not alone!!!
spookypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2001, 09:03 PM   #45 (permalink)
Chronos' Love Slave

Location: Third star on the left and straight on till morning!
I'm merging this small thread about Red Sky with the main thread!

Anni is offline   Reply With Quote