View Single Post
Old 26th January 2012, 10:29 AM   #49 (permalink)
Mr Turtle
Carpe Diem

Re: Published authors and percentage income

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary Fryth View Post
I thought like that too Mr Turtle, right up to the day in early Nov last year when I was rushed to hospital and lay in emergency for 13hrs because of a suspected blood clot in my lungs. It didn't end up being a blood clot, but the incident helped me re-evaluate my life. I was no longer content to wait on other people to help me achieve my dreams. I felt I had to do it myself. Don't get me wrong, I do want to hold my books in my hands in paper form. That may still happen, there are ways and means to achieve that right now if I want to. I'm just not ready to do that yet.

p.s. I don't believe traditional books will disappear. I believe both formats can co-exist. They reckoned movie cinemas would vanish with the video tape/dvd. It never happened. People still go to movies. People will still prefer paper books.
I completely agree with you - I actually have the words "Carpe Diem" Tattooed on my wrist! The idea that you could be hit by a bus tomorrow spurs me on even more to make sure what I write is good enough to be picked up by a "real" publisher.

Don't get me wrong, I think either way is fine, one thing this forum has really brought to my attention is not only the amount of people are now self publishing on Kindle, but also the amount of people having success with it.

I just have a certain dream, and if it all falls to pieces, ie I end up with enough rejection letters to wallpaper the whole house, then I will most probably end up going down that route myself.

I think its down to the individuals own preference, choice, desire etc as to which route they go down - and certainly the kindle route appears to be, quite possibly, more profitable!

Quote:
I, for one, intend to both be traditionally published and self-publish, with even pages being the former and odd pages the latter.
This is a superb idea! I like the 'out of the box' thinking!!

Peace

Jx

P.S Rosemary - sorry to hear you had, what I can only imagine, a horrible experience last year, but very glad to hear that its spurred you on - if more people did just that and Seized the Day, rather than wallowing in self pity, the world would be a much more fun place!!
Mr Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote