View Single Post
Old 18th November 2011, 02:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
soulsinging
the dude abides

Re: Occupy Wall Streeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Graham View Post
My issue with it is that many of those participating don't seem to understand what they are on about. They know that everyone hates greedy bankers and that they are supposed to believe that all politicians are self-centred crooks. They may have a vague idea about the iniquities of commodity trading, short selling or corporate fraud, but I fear that if they were put up in a proper debate against someone who did know their stuff, they'd end up looking like ill-informed chumps. They have bags of enthusiasm, but don't appear to really understand what their grievances actually are.
Do you know how to run a hospital or perform surgery? Does that mean you're not allowed an opinion on the health care system that directly impacts your health? Can you try a case in court on your own? Does that mean you're not allowed to discuss the death penalty or tort reform?

I don't think there's any rational way to argue against the main point... that over the last 20-30 years, a small number of very wealthy in the US have done very well at the expense of the rest of us. The fact that not everyone in the movement is 100% clear on how that happened or how best to fix it doesn't change that. That's why you protest... show you demand a change and then hope those with the ability to produce it hear you.

I'd even say the problem is the opposite. The OWS people know what they're talking about, it's the critics talking about iphones or telling them to get jobs that don't know what they're on about. The reason this protest is happening is becos we had jobs or we've been looking for jobs and there are none. And maybe not all of us have an econ phd, but you don't need one to lose your job to outsourcing for a stock bump and then see a bank CEO that almost detroyed world finance not only keep his, but get a govt loan to stay open and get a taxpayer financed bonus bigger than any salary you'll never make in your life. I think it's totally disingenuous and unfair to act like that guy doesn't know what he's talking about just becos he can't argue the finer points of globalization's role in it. THEY don't know what they're talking about becos they never have to worry about looking for a job or making money. They never get fired and if they do it's with a golden parachute.

They have no idea what it's like out there. We're not refusing to get jobs. We've been trying but there aren't any becos they're spending it all on lobbying congress for favorable tax breaks to allow them to hoard more of it.
soulsinging is offline   Reply With Quote