Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Film > General Film Discussion

General Film Discussion For discussing the silver screen and the DVD.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th March 2001, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
This is Star - my honey!!

Cool

This film starred Mick Jagger.

All I remember of this film is it being a load of old codswallop. There seemed to be no storyline at all. I came out of the cinema feeling holy disappointed with a film I believed to be pretty good.

Annette.
Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2001, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

Freejack (1992)

Quote:
Originally posted by Annette
This film starred Mick Jagger.

All I remember of this film is it being a load of old codswallop.
http://uk.imdb.com/Title?0104299

I was going to say this wasn't very good, but a load of old codswallop is going a bit far!

I know that Mick Jagger isn't the worlds best actor, but he has a small role. It also has:

Emilio Estevez - not usually good, but okay in this.
Antony Hopkins - a SIR now, no less.
Rene Russo - not well known then, after this she had a lot of sucess.
Jonathan Banks

It has a great concept for a story -

Just as Auto racer Alex Furlong is about to die in a fatal accident, he is snatched away by time travel, a split second before a fatal explosion. Vasendak's 21st-century team of techies, plan to sell his healthy body to an ailing rich man at McCandless Corporation, for a mind transfer. He escapes, but has no rights in this nightmare future of violence and sleaze.

That's the good bit.....The story continues with his survival, and his attempt to revive his relationship with his fiancée Julie, now 15 years older and an executive at McCandless.

It gets very boring, and I've only seen it late at night on TV, when it sends me to sleep.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2002, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
KiNg DoNuT Club Starter!

Boring? I can think of reasons why many people might of hated it but boring? It had loads of action scenes and it kicks Pitch black's @$$! (which IS "a load of old codswallop"...)
King Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2002, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
This is Star - my honey!!

Smile

OK I take it back. Film didn't do much for me. Everyones entitled to their opinions, right?

Hi King Donut, welcome to ascifi. :wave:

annette
Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

Quote:
Originally posted by King Donut
Boring?...It had loads of action scenes...
Some of us require MORE than car chases and "loads of action scenes" in our films.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cave Painter

Re: Freejack (1992)

Immortality, Inc. by Robert Sheckley, the book this movie is allegedly "based" on, is classic sci-fi positing some new technology, then examining the way society reacts. The movie was none of that.

Some time in the future it has been scientifically proven that an afterlife exists. The "soul" of a person is an electromagnetic field generated by the body. Typically death destroys the pattern, and all that the "person" was is lost. A tiny handful of people naturally survive, or are adept at yoga and other arts to survive the death trauma by sheer will. Now science has learned how to reinforce one's pattern to guarantee an afterlife—"hereafter insurance." Naturally, only the very rich can afford the process.

And so society responds with healthy but poor people "selling" their bodies to the rich in exchange for hereafter insurance, rich adventurers who have already received hereafter insurance conducting to-the-death manhunts for the thrill (typically, the hunters are not insured), and other bizarre practices.

Into this we drop a 20th century man, snatched from his body at the moment of death by a new process. Now the insurance sellers can protect one even from death because they can reach back in time and snatch you out of your body and drop you into a new one. After proving the technique, the 20th century man is essentially left to his own devices in a world he cannot understand. And there is a zombie following him—a soul badly "spliced" into a new body so that the soul can animate the body, but the body is not truly living. And the zombie claims to know the protagonist. (Through the same technology, the story also gives rise to ghosts and other "occult" beings.)

The book—highly recommended.
The movie—a bad splice, a lifeless body shuffling around and dropping parts as it rots on its feet.
Metryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 03:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

Re: Freejack (1992)

I remember seeing this on video, but that's it. If i remember rightly it did have a pretty decent concept that was ignored. Millennium did this a lot better IMO.
Rodders is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: