Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured Films > Alien & Predator

Alien & Predator ALIEN, ALIENS, ALIEN 3, and Alien Resurrection.
Predator, Predator 2. Predators
Aliens vs Predators and AvP 2.
And now PROMETHEUS.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st March 2001, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired super-mod-erator!

Smile Alien≥ (1992)

PLOT OUTLINE: (from a review at the IMDB - http://us.imdb.com/Plot?0103644 )

Despite the efforts of Ripley and the space marines in the film Aliens, an embryonic alien infiltrates the starship. It accidentally triggers the ship's emergency systems, dropping the escape capsule to the surface of a nearby planet. Ripley finds herself in a prison colony peopled by a religious cult composed of former murderers and rapists. Meanwhile, the alien has managed to grow into a new and deadly form, and is picking off the weaponless prisoners. Ripley soon discovers, much to her horror, that the real danger is much more personal...

I saw this as an attempt to get back to the original premise of "Alien" with just one Alien doing the damage, but still almost unstoppable by the unarmed prisoners and Ripley. If there'd been just one gun kept for emergencies, it could have been a short film as Ripley would have known what to do

The alien being born from a dog was a nice twist, which gave it some different abilities...
markpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2001, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

I at first thought it was bad that Newt and the other survior of "Aliens" were just found dead at the beginning of Alien 3. I felt as though they had simply not wanted them in this plot, so has just written them out, and I didnt like it much.
But on reflection, it was also interpretable as showing how the Alien has once again destroyed Ripley's life, and everything she fought for is gone. And of course it later becomes clear why Ripley survived when the others were killed...
Old 27th September 2003, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Vimes's stunt double

Personally although I dont dislike the film I do feel its the weakest of them. The starting sequence shows a huge continuity error in the fact that the cryo chambers that they climb into in the Suluco mysteriously change into the Nostromo type before the fire. Also I dont like the fact that they had to mess around with the Alien itself, it seemed to take some of the menace away from it or maybe that was just the fault of the director who's films I normally enjoy I hasten to add.
L. Arkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2003, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think the point with the changed alien was that this is an ability of the aliens - they adapt from whatever host they find to incubate them. This time it was a dog, so the resulting alien was more canine, rather than the previous aliens which had all been incubated by humans.

As for the cryo chambers, one for the "continuity errors" file I guess..
Old 8th January 2004, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Vimes's stunt double

Alien 3. Vincent Wards wooden planet.

Anyone out there who has the Alien Quadrilogy should check out the bonus disk for Alien 3. Now it has to be said that I find this movie the weakest of the four, it just doesnt float my boat so to speak. The characters are all ex convicts, you find yourself not really caring who lives and dies and I feel that to change the Alien itself (regardless of what creature incubated it) was a mistake.
Then I watched the bonus disk and now feel cheated. The second director appointed for the film (Vincent Ward) had a vision of a planet built completely from wood (at the core would be some kind of spaceship) by these monk like people who wanted to reject technology as much as they possibly could. It would be made up of huge hundred meter high floors, with cathedral like arches and stained glass windows manufactured in there own medievel glass works. When riply arrived at this place by lifeboat, a full grown alien warrior would be on the ship with her. The people being religious in nature of course imagine the predator to be some kind of demonic presence brought by Ripley and as such confine her to some kind of dungeon. The director at this point had a scene in his mind whereby the Alien would somehow be able to get in her cell and taunt her night after night, never killing her of course as she carried an Alien inside her.
To me, this film would have been fantastic. VW said that he felt he should do something different for the franchise, not just the running about in futuretech industrial corridoors and I have to say I agree with him. It would have been....well, different, original. Anyone else here see it and if so what are your thoughts? :hjbigeyes
L. Arkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2004, 07:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well it would have been better than Alien3 was, but any story that doesn't go to earth or the Aliens homeworld is a disapointment to me.
MetalAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 11:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Re: Alien³

is the host for the alien a dog? I thought it was some sort of bovine.
Niolani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Universe Blends

Re: Alien³

Funny thing is Alien 3 is fast becoming my fav, lol it just is, don't look at me that way!

The one is hate is Allien Resurection! That film just lost it for me!
Saolta Oiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Re: Alien 3. Vincent Wards wooden planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Arkwright View Post
The characters are all ex convicts, you find yourself not really caring who lives and dies
I just watched Alien 3 last night for the first time and I have to say I did find myself caring about the characters, despite them being convicts. Not all of them, of course, because some of them still seem intent on being "sinners" despite their religious conversion, but I definitely cared about the major characters like Dillon, Clemens, and the prisoners that survive till near the end. I do think Aliens did a better job of giving each of the supporting characters who's eventually going to die a bit more individuality. But it also helped that they weren't all bald dudes.

I just realized that Charles Dance (Clemens) is Tywin Lannister in HBO's Game of Thrones. Holy crap! No wonder he looked oddly familiar.
snaggletoooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 05:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
only differs in your mind

Re: Alien≥ (1992)

If I throw out the first two alien movies, Aliens especially, the third film is a good piece of work. However, considering what they carelessly did with Newt, Hicks and eventually Ripley, I will continue to despise this film and pretend it did not happen. Shame, like I said it's a good film. I really enjoyed the setting, the characters, the mood and the story for the most part.
There was a 6 part black and white graphic novel that came out in the 80's that continued the story after James Cameron's take and it was completely awesome. It centered around Newt who was having trouble coping with everything she had been through. It took place 10 years after Aliens so she was 19ish. Great story that should have made it to the screen. They then continued the story with a 4 issue airbrushed full color visual treat of a graphic novel that picks up where the 6 issue leaves off. Awesome as well.
Huttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 06:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Prehistoric Irish Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huttman View Post
If I throw out the first two alien movies, Aliens especially, the third film is a good piece of work. However, considering what they carelessly did with Newt, Hicks and eventually Ripley, I will continue to despise this film and pretend it did not happen. Shame, like I said it's a good film. I really enjoyed the setting, the characters, the mood and the story for the most part.
Charles Dutton was great in this movie. But that isn't enough for me to forgive it the same sins that you mention.
clovis-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 02:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
within the depths

Fincher is quoted as saying, "No one hates this movie more than I do."

To his credit, it's not that bad. It just could've been so much more.

I agree -- Charles Dutton was excellent. And Sigourney Weaver looked damn cool with a shaved head.
slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 05:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Benevolent Galaxy Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niolani View Post
is the host for the alien a dog? I thought it was some sort of bovine.
It was in the novel, I liked both versions. I was fortunate to find the audiobook of ALIEN 3 with Lance Henriksen reading the story.

I really like the film, it was very gritty and tense. It was like Judgement Day for the prisoners, with Sigourney in the middle of violent condemned men and a vicious monster.

"It was a...DRAGON!"
Starbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 04:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
A Lerxst in Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbeast View Post
It was in the novel, I liked both versions. I was fortunate to find the audiobook of ALIEN 3 with Lance Henriksen reading the story.
Doesn't it also come out of a slaughtered cow in the 'alternate' cut of the movie that's in the Quadrilogy/Anthology box sets? I seem to remember the cow hanging from a hook or something when it happens.
Bugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 08:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Benevolent Galaxy Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
Doesn't it also come out of a slaughtered cow in the 'alternate' cut of the movie that's in the Quadrilogy/Anthology box sets? I seem to remember the cow hanging from a hook or something when it happens.
Yep, and one of the convicts was helping the xenomorph by releasing it after it was captured.
Starbeast is offline   Reply With Quote