Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Film > General Film Discussion

General Film Discussion For discussing the silver screen and the DVD.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th October 2008, 07:15 AM   #31 (permalink)
Noise Warrior

Re: Fave Film scenes/moments/quotes.

another classic scene has to be the rhino in Ace Ventura 2.
the whole audience were in one mind during that and everyone was having trouble breathing. the film is worth watching just for that alone.
Urlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 09:09 AM   #32 (permalink)
Lagomorphing

The bit in the forest in Princess Mononoke where San is chewing Ashitaka's food because he's too weak to do it himself, and when she feeds him it he thinks for a moment she's kissing him, and his arms move a little to hold her, before he realises. So subtle and so beautifully done.
HareBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 01:09 PM   #33 (permalink)
Left-minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Also I've come here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of bubblegum from They Live. It still makes me smile.
That would have to be one of mine, too. The whole film cracks me up, and that line - and Piper's delivery - are just priceless.

Others:
From Hot Fuzz:
Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fuelled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.

And from High Fidelity:
Jon Dillinger was killed behind that theatre in a hail of FBI gunfire. And do you know who tipped them off? His f***ing girlfriend. All he wanted to do was go to the movies.
Tillane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 05:36 PM   #34 (permalink)
Transmural Feline

Boromir's death scene in LotR.

The moment when the Apollo 13 crew realizes that there's been an explosion aboard and that they'll never get to the moon.
manephelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 06:13 PM   #35 (permalink)
Prehistoric Irish Cynic

One of my favorite quotes from one of my all time favorite movies, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum: Marcus Lycus (Phil Silvers) to one of his "employees" after smacking him on the head for fanning freshly bathed courtesans with a large ostrich feather:

"If I've told you once, I've told you a hundred times; do not fan the girls when they're wet! But you'll never learn, you'll be a eunuch all your life."
clovis-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 10:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
"...use the Forks!"

Avoiding the obvious choices this was fairly difficult but i would go with Field of Dreams and James Earl Jones "people will come..." speech near the end of the film "..it is money they have and peace they lack..", and if you have any doubt just remember, it's James Earl Jones!!

Mentioned twice already but Boromir death scene in LOTR is just so good, i love that whole 10 mins or so, from Aragorn's "i would have followed you into the very fires of Mordor.." until Boromir's "..my brother, my captain, my king".

I'll also add the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, end scene in the graveyard is probably the most popular. However, prior to that Tuco (Eli Wallach) is tracking Blondie (Clint) and the music which is used just suits the scenes perfectly and gathers momentum all the way to Tuco puffing on the discarded Cigar until he has it puffing again, brilliant
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 06:04 AM   #37 (permalink)
Prehistoric Irish Cynic

Unforgiven: "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

Words to live by.
clovis-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 06:50 AM   #38 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Bull Durham - When Susan Sarandon has Tim Robbins tied to the bed and he thinks he's going to get some kinky action, but then she starts reading poetry to him. Classic.

The very beginning of Rebel Without a Cause, when James Dean's character is drunk before being taken to the police station. The most uninhibited piece of acting I've ever seen.

The Abyss - when Ed Harris is trying to revive Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio after she has intentionally drowned so that he can get her back to their underwater shelter. He just won't give up. It's really very romantic.

The "walk-off" in Zoolander. Hilarious.

I'm sure there are others, but these are all I can think of in my present state of exhaustion.
littlemissattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 01:25 PM   #39 (permalink)
wun wabbit

Re: The Abyss I love the camera shot from above looking down on the crew surrounding Lindsey in the moonpool, the colours are fantastic.

regarging lines i like Catfish's remarks on the drop-off "This here's the bottomless pit baby, two and half miles strait down".

great film.
UltraCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 01:57 PM   #40 (permalink)
Expensive Gadget User

Something for the imagination.

Persian: "Our arrows will blot out the sun"
Spartan: "Then we will fight in the shade"
And the best one "This is SPARTA!!"

Neo: "Hmm upgrades"

Indiana Jones: Knocks guy out of the zeppelin, says "No ticket"

Freddie: "How sweet, fresh meat"
biodroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 01:32 AM   #41 (permalink)
Noise Warrior

then of course, there are some fantastic scenes in The Thing.

my favourite has to be just after they do the blood test and Garry starts talking in a very calm and collected way and just explodes to deliver the last 5 words

"I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS ****ING COUCH!"
Urlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 06:34 PM   #42 (permalink)

I like a lot of films from various genre but I guess my all time favourite film is Lawrence Of Arabia, followed by The Godfather. More recently The Lord Of The Rings trilogy
harper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 12:24 AM   #43 (permalink)

In the first Kill Bill movie, a part of the kitchen scene. I liked the line from Kiddo, when Vernita mentions that Bill gave her the impression that she lacked rationality (something along those lines anyway) and Kiddo responds with, "It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality."

In Robocop 2, when the Terminator and the boy go to get his mother from the institution and run into her in the hallway, her horrified reaction of seeing the Terminator again is one of my favourite moments.

Mystery Men. The guy with the shovel, when he is trying to convince his wife that he is meant for greater things (being a hero) he says, "Lucille, God gave me a gift. I shovel well. I shovel very well."

I like how he takes pride in being skillful with a shovel
Antubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 05:02 AM   #44 (permalink)
Expensive Gadget User

I don't think the Terminator and Robocop were in the same movie although it sounds like it could be fun. Terminator: "My mission parameters are to protect you", Robocop: "I want baby food, thats my only protection"
biodroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 07:33 AM   #45 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

A couple of western mentions reminded me of Dances With Wolves. Even though I know it's coming, the death of Cisco hits me everytime. And then of course I yell at the screen for Two Socks to run away but he never does...
Culhwch is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: