Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured TV Series > Stargate > Stargate SG-1 Time Line Chat > Stargate SG-1 Season 1

Stargate SG-1 Season 1 Forum for the discussion of Season 1 episodes. Use spoiler warnings if you\'re going to reference episodes from future seasons.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25th April 2002, 06:50 AM   #31 (permalink)
confused

I think Sam was just so stressed about getting Jack home, esp. towards the end that maybe that was the only thing that she was thinking about--HOME. If it weren't for their injuries and the harsh environment putting such an urgency on things she might have considered trying something else. But as time passed and things kept getting worse and hypothermia set in I'm sure her thinking was progressively diminished until it was almost like tunnel vision.
Well that's my opinion anywayz
imported_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2002, 03:08 PM   #32 (permalink)
There can be only one!!

know what I love? sparking discussion!

i really do wanna know why she only tried dialing Earth -

but the explanations everyone's coming up with are making sense --

(playing devil's advocate can really be a fun game! :evil

i just don't like plot holes -- they bug me ---
Highlander II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2002, 09:45 AM   #33 (permalink)
Tau'ri Death Glider Pilot

Meh !

then U'd get on real well with wotzhisname in Proving Ground -

<spoiler space? >

poking hole's in Jack's training senerio when they'd just failed it
Hungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2002, 05:36 PM   #34 (permalink)
There can be only one!!

we have a 'spoiler' tag now that you can use instead of space -

type - {spoiler}text here{/spoiler}

but use these brackets [ ] instead --

looks like this:

Major Davis should have been in season 1!!!

and i still don't like plot holes --

but - i did like this episode --- the idea that Daniel solves the problem with kind of 'everyday' common sense type knowledge is nice -- and he references the gate making half the mountain shake -- that was in the movie -- good tie-in ---

and, of course this exchange:

Daniel: <to Teal'c> What happens when you dial your own phone number? Wrong person to ask. <to Hammond> What happens when you dial your own phone number?
Hammond: You get a busy signal.

love that!!!
Old 27th April 2002, 12:16 PM   #35 (permalink)

Yeah I know !!

U've gota love Tealc's facial expressions !! :rolly2:
Old 30th April 2002, 01:08 AM   #36 (permalink)
There can be only one!!

oh totally -- LOVE Teal'c's facial expressions! Chris Judge is great!!! and his expression in THAT scene is just too funny! and Daniel realizing mid-way through that 'duh! he wouldn't know' hehehehe ---
Old 30th April 2002, 02:30 PM   #37 (permalink)

:aliengray :rolly2: :aliengray
Old 30th April 2002, 09:44 PM   #38 (permalink)
There can be only one!!

i agree completely!! :alienooh:!!
Old 8th May 2002, 03:21 PM   #39 (permalink)
Expert Member

Location: Sitting in front of my computer, at home, on Chulak.
I think Daniels sort of sweet, with his arm in a sling and trying so hard to firgure out what happened, lol :blush:
kelsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2002, 08:55 PM   #40 (permalink)
Official keeper of Narim!

what?!?! only one other person liked it for it's shippy moments? of season one I think I've watched this one the most. What bugs me the most is how Daniel keeps wrinkling his forhead. If I had a cut like that on MY forhead I'm sure I'd be in massive pain if I kept wrinkling it!!!
skoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 09:42 PM   #41 (permalink)
Explorer

I just watched this ep on scifi re-runs and LOVED it. I've seen it before years ago, but since its been so long it just feels like a new ep (thats how I feel watching all of the reruns on scifi). Anyway, I really did like this ep because of the separation of the team members and how it seemed to start a spark between Sam and Jack (maybe there was one there already but it really showed here...especailly when she called him "Jack" instead of "Colonel".) It was great seeing, again, how they foudn the second stargate and the reasons why 2 were pu on earth int he first place. Daniel did a great job figuring out what happened and how to find them. I'm now taping all of the reruns so I'll be watching this one again.
HeyLynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2003, 05:49 PM   #42 (permalink)

I have to agree with Highlander II on this one. It was simply unbelievable that Sam wouldn't think to try another gate address.

It was, overall, a boring ep. There was no reason to waste an entire ep just to work in the second stargate.

I think the major problem with 'Solitudes' is that the plot is more of a conceit, reather than an idea, as shown in this example from The Turkey City Lexicon:

Quote:
The Jar of Tang

"For you see, we are all living in a jar of Tang!" or "For you see, I am a dog!" A story contrived so that the author can spring a silly surprise about its setting. Mainstay of the old Twilight Zone TV show. An entire pointless story contrived so the author can cry "Fooled you!" For instance, the story takes place in a desert of coarse orange sand surrounded by an impenetrable vitrine barrier; surprise! our heroes are microbes in a jar of Tang powdered orange drink.

This is a classic case of the difference between a conceit and an idea. "What if we all lived in a jar of Tang?" is an example of the former; "What if the revolutionaries from the sixties had been allowed to set up their own society?" is an example of the latter. Good SF requires ideas, not conceits. (Attr. Stephen P. Brown)

http://www.sfwa.org/writing/turkeycity.html
For you see, they were really on earth all along! And the only way to get it to work is to have Sam act like an idiot.

Quote:
Idiot Plot
A plot which functions only because all the characters involved are idiots. They behave in a way that suits the author's convenience, rather than through any rational motivation of their own. (Attr. James Blish)
Jobeth is offline   Reply With Quote