Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Film > General Film Discussion

General Film Discussion For discussing the silver screen and the DVD.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 11:57 PM   #91 (permalink)

Re: Lovecraftian Cinema

I've just watched "Call of Cthulhu". I gave up waiting for it to be shown on tv, I just don't think they'll ever get around to it so I ordered it on DVD. It had to be imported but I must say that it was very good. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to enjoy a silent film but it was really effective. Although I would say that it's one for the fans more than for general consumption.
Fried Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 06:07 AM   #92 (permalink)
Heretic

Yes, Call of Cthulhu was an awesome movie. I just love the recreation of the silent film era, it encourages the viewer to imagine even as he sees and thereby makes the depiction of you-know-who that much more effective.
ravenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 09:49 AM   #93 (permalink)

That's the only trouble with the Call of Cthulhu - it's so hard to get hold of! I watched it on the big screen at EasterCon back in 2005 and that was absolutely great.
AlexDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 05:59 PM   #94 (permalink)
Writer

Charming little movie. Saw it last night. I was hoping they'd refrain from revealing the boss himself too much. But it was good anyway.
Magnus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 06:32 PM   #95 (permalink)
Shut my mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDavis View Post
That's the only trouble with the Call of Cthulhu - it's so hard to get hold of! I watched it on the big screen at EasterCon back in 2005 and that was absolutely great.
I also love this movie.

I can't remember where I got my copy but it shouldn't be too hard to track down a copy (it's available through amazon at a reasonable price).
Foxbat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 09:18 AM   #96 (permalink)
Shut my mouth

This looks interesting
"YouTube - New "At the Mountains of Madness" Trailer"
Old 20th February 2011, 04:06 PM   #97 (permalink)
Heretic

That looks like some fan-made trailer. Very judicious use of clippings, some of it is from the last bits of the Kenneth Branagh Frankenstein movie I think. The proposed Guillermo Del Toro film is said to be in pre-production and stars Tom Cruise as, I don't know, hopefully the guy that gets killed less than 10 minutes after they land at the Antarctic
ravenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 04:28 PM   #98 (permalink)
Shut my mouth

Damn! You're right. just checked out the comments (which I normally never do) and it is fan made. Ah well, at least the 'fan' has obviously got a bit of skill. Somebody give that guy a job
Old 10th March 2011, 02:14 PM   #99 (permalink)
Luna tick

I'm afriad that it looks like At the Mountains of Madness has failed to get the green light.

Guillermo Del Toro won't be climbing the Mountains of Madness | Film | guardian.co.uk

I guess it isn't completly dead, but isn't looking good.
Moonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 07:20 PM   #100 (permalink)
Benevolent Galaxy Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDavis View Post

You can watch this film on Netfilix or Youtube. However, I would have really enjoyed to see it on the big screen like you did.
Starbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 03:00 PM   #101 (permalink)
Wears a Fez now

Can we include TV shows within the remit of this thread?

In 1999 the BBC made a never broadcast Pilot for an intended series set firmly in the Lovecraftian mythology, Rough Magik. It even had Paul Darrow!

Rough Magik is about The Night Scholars, a clandestine organization setup to monitor the ancient cult of Cthulhu. After decades of compiling an enormous database of arcane information, they have come to a single, incontrovertible conclusion: the Sleeping God is waking.

Also, it occurs to me that Doctor Who has often used very Lovecraftian themes and influences. The Pertwee storys featuring the Silurians for example, some people go completely mad when the meet the Silurians, its something to do with primal fear being triggered, of a deep seated race/genetic memory/fear of early man, or its primate ancestors being hunted by the Silurians, that feels fairly Lovecraftian to me, with a good dose of Quatermass of course

And of course, we have the Great Old Ones, from various Who stories. Who were unimaginably ancient creatures that were preserved in humanity's race memory as their worst nightmares. They were conceived as creatures that spread evil, chaos and destruction wherever they went. And they name checked the odd Lovecraftian Elder God or 2.

The Great Old Ones in Who included:
Azathoth, Hastur the Unspeakable, Magog, Yog-Sothoth, Nah, Raag, Rok, The Animus, Cthulhu, Dagon, Nyarlathotep, Shub-Niggurath, Yog-Sothoth, Gog, Valdemar.
Caledfwlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 09:14 PM   #102 (permalink)
Benevolent Galaxy Being

I just watched The Last Lovecraft: The Relic of Cthulhu (2011)

Not bad for an independant flick, low-budget and short, but entertaining.

Anyone else see it?

Starbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 06:45 AM   #103 (permalink)
Charles.Dunphey

I'm gonna be that guy...lol Cabin in the Woods had a lot of Lovecraftian essences to it. Although it had many things I hate in films, I did enjoy the material that reminded me of H. P. Lovecraft.
Charles.Dunphey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 08:44 PM   #104 (permalink)

"The Whisperer in Darkness" is worth checking out, by the same people who did Call of Cthulhu (2005). Also, I quite enjoyed "Colour from the Dark" (2008), but don't expect great effects

The most recent remake of the Dunwich Horror, with Dean Stockwell and Jeffrey Combs, I thought was just about OK (and I'll watch, and usually enjoy, anything Lovecraft).
If you want to see something putrid (and not in a good way), then try "In Search of Lovecraft". I didn't make it all they way through.

I can't post links to IMDb I've just found out, as this is only my 2nd post.
hawkmoon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 08:02 AM   #105 (permalink)
K-9
Marianna reporting, sir!

In Italy in 2005 Il mistero di Lovecraft - Road to L was made. I hadn't seen the film yet, but they told me it'quite good. The plot draws inspiration from rumor attending to which Lovecraft wrote The shadow over Innsmouth after visiting Po Delta (and particularly Loreo village, 40 minutes far from my hom ) ... OF COURSE I believe in these rumors
K-9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: