Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Publishers & Industry > Publishing

Publishing Questions and answers about the publishing industry, featuring answers from literary agents, publisher writers, and editors.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 18th June 2007, 04:50 PM   #271 (permalink)
Registered User
 
John Jarrold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 1,175
Re: "Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

And Jon Courtenay Grimwood's ARABESK novels, beginning with Pashazade, feature an alternative North Africa in the 21st century, which is also an interesting setting...I commissioned them, and we had a long discussion about Lawrence Durrell's Alexandria Quartet and the nature of truth! Must have been the red wine...
John Jarrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 09:48 PM   #272 (permalink)
deadlines met
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK: ENGLAND:
Posts: 39
Cool Re: "Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

speaking of which... just reading *debatable space*. Not sure if it's very brave, insane or simply brilliant (mind you, only a third of the way through so have time to focus opinion). At what point did you know you were going to take it on. First page, end first chapter, end of the book?
Interested to know.
JonCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 09:51 PM   #273 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
iansales's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Yorkshire
Posts: 3,442
Re: "Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jarrold View Post
...and we had a long discussion about Lawrence Durrell's Alexandria Quartet and the nature of truth!
One of my favourite books. One of my favourite authors, in fact. Er, Durrell, that is.

I heard JCG speaking about alternate history only the weekend just gone at the BSFA AGM. Very interesting.
iansales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 10:12 PM   #274 (permalink)
deadlines met
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK: ENGLAND:
Posts: 39
Re: "Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansales View Post
I heard JCG speaking about alternate history only the weekend just gone at the BSFA AGM. Very interesting.
thanks... not wanting to hijack jj's thread or anything.
JonCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 10:43 PM   #275 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
iansales's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Yorkshire
Posts: 3,442
Re: "Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

Your story about the woman wearing a hijab and breast-feeding was... bizarre. Can't say I ever saw that when I was in the Middle East. But once I was in a lift with a local woman, who was covered head to foot in an abeya and completely unrecognisable... when she said, "Hello, Ian." Turned out to be someone I worked with. Still gave me a shock, though.
iansales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 11:48 PM   #276 (permalink)
Dragon Writer
 
Mark Robson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Northamptonshire
Posts: 2,186
Re: "Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCG View Post
thanks... not wanting to hijack jj's thread or anything.
Nice to see you here JCG. Another author enters the fray! Before you know it, we'll have taken over the joint.

We need to get a few more discussions about your work going so we can set Brian the task of putting up another author board with an 'in residence' author to answer questions and encourage more readers. Welcome.
Mark Robson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 08:30 AM   #277 (permalink)
deadlines met
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK: ENGLAND:
Posts: 39
Re: "Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansales View Post
Your story about the woman wearing a hijab and breast-feeding was... bizarre. Can't say I ever saw that when I was in the Middle East. But once I was in a lift with a local woman, who was covered head to foot in an abeya and completely unrecognisable... when she said, "Hello, Ian." Turned out to be someone I worked with. Still gave me a shock, though.
Ian: It was in Marrakech which, being berber and very megrib, tends to be slightly different from the more eastern parts of North Africa if that makes sense.

John: thanks. Good to be here. Still interested to know about *disputed space* (finished it last night, late, probably says it all...)
JonCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 09:04 AM   #278 (permalink)
Author and Editor
 
Ian Whates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 1,636
Re: "Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

Echoing Mark's greeting, welcome aboard Jon; it's good to see you here.
Ian Whates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 09:23 AM   #279 (permalink)
Registered User
 
John Jarrold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 1,175
Re: "Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCG View Post
speaking of which... just reading *debatable space*. Not sure if it's very brave, insane or simply brilliant (mind you, only a third of the way through so have time to focus opinion). At what point did you know you were going to take it on. First page, end first chapter, end of the book?
Interested to know.
Philip Palmer's writing grabbed me on the first two pages, which is the most important thing of all with a new writer, and the story and characters (as well as the writing) kept me reading to the end of the book!

I can turn down 90% of my submissions in the first ten pages, because the writing simply isn't special enough. Wonderful ideas don't matter a damn, if you can't write wonderful fiction and create outstanding characters.

Good to see you here, Jon!
John Jarrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 09:24 AM   #280 (permalink)
Registered User
 
John Jarrold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 1,175
Re: "Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Robson View Post

We need to get a few more discussions about your work going so we can set Brian the task of putting up another author board with an 'in residence' author to answer questions and encourage more readers. Welcome.
Hear, hear!
John Jarrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 04:28 PM   #281 (permalink)
Registered User
 
John Jarrold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 1,175
Re: "Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

It'd be good to get more major publishers involved, too. Orbit, Bantam, HC Voyager, Gollancz, Tor UK, all in London...
John Jarrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 08:54 PM   #282 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 2
Re: "Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jarrold View Post
It'd be good to get more major publishers involved, too. Orbit, Bantam, HC Voyager, Gollancz, Tor UK, all in London...
John, hi. I do agree with what you say above, in theory. The difficulty - and I can only speak for my own crew here - isn't that we don't want to get out and talk to people, it's that there just aren't enough hours in the day. I'll resolve to try to be seen around here - though do by all means give me a prod if there's something that I've missed which might be of interest.

George
GeorgeWalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 08:16 AM   #283 (permalink)
Registered User
 
John Jarrold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 1,175
Re: "Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

Good man, George!

For those who don't know, George is one of the head honchos at Orbit UK...
John Jarrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 08:19 AM   #284 (permalink)
Mod of Awesome
 
dustinzgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,724
Re: "Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jarrold View Post
Good man, George!

For those who don't know, George is one of the head honchos at Orbit UK...
Whats Orbit UK?
dustinzgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 08:23 AM   #285 (permalink)
Author and Editor
 
Ian Whates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 1,636
Re: "Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

Thanks for that, John. I must confess that I haven't yet encountered George.

Welcome to Chronicles, George. Hope you find the time (from somewhere!) to stop by occasionally, and that you find your visits here enjoyable and worthwhile when you do.
Ian Whates is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.