Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Publishers & Industry > Publishing

Publishing Questions and answers about the publishing industry, featuring answers from literary agents, publisher writers, and editors.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 7th September 2007, 01:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

Re: About the Publishing board

Posting your work on the Internet could damage your chances of seeing it published, because “publishing” means “to make something public”.

A novel online is published, if only virtually...

I’m talking about an entire novel or short story. This doesn’t concern a few excerpts or the beginning.
Giovanna Clairval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

Just to let everyone know I'm back - apologies for the long delay after my move to Lincoln. Editing and agency work go on apace! I'll be commenting through this week.

Cheers!
John Jarrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Spiff's Stunt Double

Yaaay! The Jarrold-Meister is back in da house!

Hope the move went well, John.
Coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks! Yes, it did - but moving from Hastings (after seventeen years) to Lincoln proved to have a longer acclimatisation process than moving between flats in Hastings!

Fascinating city. Good pubs and restaurants, and much historical stuff (that's a technical term) to explore..
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Hi, John, and welcome back.

Glad to hear that everything is well.

My books, and most of my stuff, are still unpacked, and I moved on August, so I do understand...

There are great restaurants in my new Parisian quarter as well.

I’ve seen good news on your blog. Congratulations.

Old 23rd October 2007, 12:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Author and Editor

Welcome back, John,

Glad to see you focusing on the important things -- pubs and restaurants! Nice to know that you're settling in so well.
Ian Whates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 01:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wannabe

Whew - welcome back from a newbie, was beginning to think you'd disappeared from the face of the earth...
StewHotston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 01:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Unregistered User

Welcome back. In order to acclimate you back to the board, we will refrain from battering you with dozens of questions for the next seven minutes.
Havlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 10:22 AM   #24 (permalink)

Welcome back, from another newbie
thaddeus6th is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 05:57 PM   #25 (permalink)

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes! Ask away...
Old 24th January 2008, 10:14 AM   #26 (permalink)

So, asking...

Can you tell us what are the great trends in Fantasy in 2008?
What are the publishers reflecting on?
Is the interest in series holding? Is the range of novels (sub-genre and themes) getting more broad, as in the past years, or can we foresee greater polarisation?
Is the supernatural sub-genre living up its past?
And how are the new authors published in 2007 doing? Can their results teach us something about the future?

Too many questions?
Old 24th January 2008, 02:22 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanna Clairval View Post
So, asking...

Can you tell us what are the great trends in Fantasy in 2008?
What are the publishers reflecting on?
Is the interest in series holding? Is the range of novels (sub-genre and themes) getting more broad, as in the past years, or can we foresee greater polarisation?
Is the supernatural sub-genre living up its past?
And how are the new authors published in 2007 doing? Can their results teach us something about the future?

Too many questions?
There is no one trend. Big books still sell, small books don't (120,000 words on up).

I have no idea what publishers are reflecting on, other than sales figures!

Series have outsold one-off novels for twenty years and more in fantasy, and will continue to do so. The majority of the readership likes a setting they know (however spiky and difficult the story is). Not 'polarisation', just breadth of imagination. That's good.

Supernatural fiction is living up to its present, which is all any commercial genre can do.

There is no template re. 2007 authors - or any other year. It's subjective. The main thing to say is that fantasy is a broader genre than it was twenty or so years ago, when anything that didn't have wizards, magic artefacts, etc., was considered uncommercial in major-league terms.
Old 24th January 2008, 02:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
Freewheeling writer

Do we know the new guys' sales figures?

Who are the bestsellers?
Anarchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 02:46 PM   #29 (permalink)

I can't give you direct sales figures, but go into your local bookshops and look at the newer writers on the fantasy/SF shelves. I've lposted this list of the major UK debuts from 2006 before, but here it is again:

GOLLANCZ

THE BLADE ITSELF - JOE ABERCROMBIE. Dark and witty with a background reminiscent of the recent fantasy bestsellers from Steven Erikson. Featuring cowardly officers, cynical but fascinating torturers and a magi who may be a fake.

THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA – SCOTT LYNCH. Set in an analogue of Italy around the fifteenth century, with a protagonist who might be called a mixture of the Artful Dodger and Oliver Twist, times 100. Wonderful background and characters, and deeply funny.

THR STORMCALLER - TOM LLOYD. Young outcast 'white-eye' is called to replace the charismatic Lord Bahl, as prophecies wind around him. Very dark. Good sense of place.

TOR UK/MACMILLAN

SCAR NIGHT - ALAN CAMPBELL. Real tour-de-force, compared to Mervyn Peake and China Mieville, but more central to the commercial fantasy genre, featuring swords and witches, for instance. But the city and land in which it's set is all-important, and wonderfully conjured. Campbell has designed the GRAND THEFT AUTO computer games.

ORBIT

THE DEVIL YOU KNOW - MIKE CAREY. First UK author to join Orbit's burgeoning 'supernatural thriller' stable (which includes Laurell K Hamilton and Kelley Armstrong). Sleazy, down-at-heel and witty. Carey wrote the graphic novels HELLBLAZER and LUCIFER, and has written for Marvel and DC over a number of years.

WINTERBIRTH - BRIAN RUCKLEY. Fantasy series being compared by the publisher with Robert Jordan and David Gemmell. Human clans, ancient races, gritty realism and wars that range across continents.

HARPERCOLLINS VOYAGER

TEMERAIRE - NAOMI NOVIK. Horatio Hornblower meets Anne McCaffrey's dragons in a fantastical Napoleonic War. Good characters, interesting plot-lines, already selling very well both sides of the Atlantic, and first in a series.

The fifth major fantasy publisher in the UK, Bantam/Corgi, didn’t publish any debuts in 2006. Remember that each of the editors will be seeing around thirty books every week, and these were the only authors they published for the first time in 2006 with a big marketing push.
Old 23rd June 2008, 05:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
Sports Reporter

Greetings everyone.

I'm still relatively new to these boards, and was wondering if it would be okay to post a query letter for a novel? I'd really like those who are experienced in publishing to tell me whether this is a letter that has a shot of soliciting the next level of response, or if there's technical/style problems with it that would earn it a free ride home in my SASE.

If it's allowed, I'll post it in its own thread.
Mharvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: