Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Film > General Film Discussion

General Film Discussion For discussing the silver screen and the DVD.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th April 2006, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Film hauls!

What movies do you buy? What videos and DVDs get to live in your house forever?

(You know that 'Book Hauls!' thread in the General Book Discussion section?
Well it's hardly any use when most of your birthday presents are DVDs, as mine were.)

So here is my 'things I got yesterday' list. Hurrah!

Wing Chun. With Michelle Yeoh. And marvellous choreography.
The Village. Which I liked, although I realise I am the only one.
Magnificant Warriors. Also with Michelle Yeoh. I've not see it, but she has a bob on the front of the DVD case, and from what I can distinguish from the little pictures on the back cover there is one scene where she is firing a gattling gun, and another where she is riding a motorbike. More I cannot tell you.
Ong-Bak. I think no explanation is needed.
King Fu Hustle. Ditto.
The Twilight Samurai. Which I have been trying to see for ages! But fate conspired against me seeing it at the cinema and on T.V. It's moving, apparantly. That's what I've heard.
Azumi. 'From the ravages of war rises an assasin', it says under the title. Exactly.

A couple of these were on my Amazon wish list, but not the others...
How did they know? How did they know?

Reviews will surely be following soon.
I'm off to get square eyes.
GrownUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Everything in Moderation

Re: Film hauls!

My most recent DVD haul is as follows

Twilight Samurai - For my partner, the TV was also conspiring against him so just bought the damn DVD to stop his whining!

Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire - Potter fan

Dirty Dancing - had the video but the extras on this actually teach you how to dance like Swayze & Co - very excited I be!

Titch - for my sons

Sin City

Brass Eye - funny as hell - birthday pressie for my partner so not really classed as my haul but then we share most things.

American Dad - Pre-ordered (not sure if this counts)

Think that's all of late.

xx
Adasunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adasunshine
Titch - for my sons
My mum, who is a primary school teacher, used to read a book called Titch to the children about three sibliings. One who, I think, had some soil, one who had a watering can and one, the smallest, who had a seed. And Titch's seed grew into a giant sunflower, as I remember it.

Is Titch the film of the book?
Old 18th April 2006, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Everything in Moderation

Titch is about a little boy with two older siblings, I believe it is a book conversion but it's not a film, it's a series... let me see if I can find a link to see if it's the same one...

Here you go...

http://www.titch.net/

It's one of the children's programmes of today that I approve of!!! There aren't many of them - Titch is one, Charlie & Lola another!

xx
Old 18th April 2006, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yep, I can tell by the picture it is the same Titch.

But Titch was not actually my favourite out of the books my mum would read. My favourite was 'Not now Bernard!'

I wonder if that has been converted to screen?

My mum and I often quote it to one-another.
Old 18th April 2006, 04:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Everything in Moderation

Off topic...

Not Now Bernard - is that the story with the dragon that just keeps growing but the parents won't listen to the little boy when he's trying to tell them???

xx
Old 18th April 2006, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

...still off topic...

Yep. There's a monster in the garden and he tries to tell his mum and she says 'Not now, Bernard', and he tries to tell his dad and he yells 'Not now, Bernard!' and he goes into the garden and says 'Hello monster' and it eats him, all of him, including his shoes, and that is not the end of the story.
Old 18th April 2006, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Shut my mouth

I like to get my hands on rare and unusual (very old) movies on DVD. One particular favourite I have recently acquired is The Mechanical Man. It's a silent Italian movie from 1921 and there is only about 26 minutes worth left in existance. It's fascinating to see such early Sci-Fi/Horror.

Another is Das Blaue Licht - Leni Riefenstahl's first feature movie (as director). Unfortunately, you can't buy it with English subtitles and I can't speak German. Still the cinematography is wonderful for its time (1932) and luckily, I have a German friend willing to translate for me.

Another that I still have to acquire but refuse to buy is a copy of This Island Earth on DVD (very rare and can exchange hands for up to $500). I won't pay this kind of money and live in hope that it will gain a re-release someday - which will knock the bottom out of the market for those people trying to make big bucks out of us poor collectors.
Foxbat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2006, 09:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

What I find aggravating is when you watch a great film on Channel 4 with subtitles, but it doesn't exist on DVD on Amazon. So you search and hurrah can find it on VCD or something on a Bengali/Thai/other-corresponding website, but that version will be without subtitles. So your momentary joy at declaring yourself a genius ends in ignominy. I hate that.
It has happened to me twice and the second time it was really upsetting.
Old 1st May 2006, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Everything in Moderation

Just found two other threads on this....

What DVD's have you purchased recently? is the first one

VHS/DVD hauls is the second.

Anyways...

Kung Fu Hustle
Looney Tunes The Golden Collection (4 DVD's full of Bugs, Marv, Daffy & Co! Can't wait!)

My local Silverscreen is closing down so there's a MEGA SALE ON!! WOOOOOOT!

Oh, and American Dad arrived last week! It's soooooooooooooooooo funny!

xx
Old 1st May 2006, 05:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Shut my mouth

Aaah! Loony Tunes. That's a must for any collection.

Incidentally (and on the same subject) I bought a boxed set of Gangster movies a while back and each disc came with a short feature and a very early Loony Tune. Apparently the cartoons were commissioned to advertise sheet music sold by Warners - and each early cartoon showcased a particular song (hence the name Loony Tunes)
Foxbat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 06:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
JohnSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrownUp
What I find aggravating is when you watch a great film on Channel 4 with subtitles, but it doesn't exist on DVD on Amazon. So you search and hurrah can find it on VCD or something on a Bengali/Thai/other-corresponding website, but that version will be without subtitles. So your momentary joy at declaring yourself a genius ends in ignominy. I hate that.
It has happened to me twice and the second time it was really upsetting.
LOL

I have had this experience many times, and each time, in a sort of out of body experience way, I see myself sulking like a scolded little child! The unfairness of it all! The worst is when you find a copy of something (video or book) long sought after at some market, recognizing the picture, only to be shot down upon getting close enough to see the Japanese title!

I have purchased mostly Thomas the Train videos/movies (two and a half year old son), but I did have the good fortune of finding a VHS copy of A Wish for Wings that Work from Berkely Breathed. It is a cartoon version of the book. Seems to be difficult to find without going on ebay, etc. . Just my kind of humor.

*snow*
JohnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 04:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I had to ressurect this thread just for the purpose of announcing that I finally got The Right Stuff on DVD. And for ten bucks on sale at Tower Records to boot.

I also snagged Rattle and Hum and High Fidelity while I was out shopping.

Basically, I doubled my DVD collection in one fell swoop (well, I've only had my DVD player for about three weeks or so). I've also got Return of the King, All the President's Men, and Zoolander. Yeah, I've got pretty eclectic tastes.
littlemissattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 07:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Heretic

Here's what I have collected thus far in life:
Ravenus' DVD collection

That's ecluding the dozen or more Indian movies I have because the locally made DVD's don't have UPC numbers.
ravenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 05:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
smiling politely

i haven't bought any movies lately, but i did buy season 1 and 2 of Deadwood. damn good show that!
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: